Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly fishing and cigars?

Our old friend, John Sullivan, used to like to smoke a cigar while fishing. One morning he made the longest cast of his life, unfortunately, his cigar had burned through his shooting line! Shooting head long gone.

I love a good cuban cigar from time to time,but those things make me dizzy as hell and I'd probably drown while wading!

Geez Bill- you hit on strong memories.

Swisher Sweets cigars, Rum Crooks cigars and Cherry Blend pipe tobacco----last semester of my Senior year in HS.... still love the smell but remember the burnt tongue more. Easy decision to quit when my GF said she would not kiss me after I had been smoking.

Couple of weeks ago I went into a cigar store just to smell the cigars and the pipe tobacco. Don't smoke them anymore, but still love the smell.

I still have a small straight stem pipe in my fly fishing gear along with what's left of a 30 year old package of Captain Black pipe tobacco. Have to admit I have re-hydrated the tobacco several times in the past 30 years and smoked a pipe full while on the Klamath. Cheap, flavored pipe tobacco does not seem to deteriorate much.

Jim

Back when I started fly fishing, I had a big collection of briar wood and peterson pipes. I would buy a special blend of tabacco from my friends shop in Carmel. One thing I wouldn't forget to buy was skinny style cigar, you know the type that Clint Eastwood would smoke in all his western movies. Three puffs and I'd turn green. Too much inhaling
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I love the smell of cigars and fresh cut grass, It reminds me of the old county fairs.

All I can think of was an article in The Onion a few years ago about a new competitor to Cigar Aficionado Magazine. The editor of the new magazine “Pretentious A**hole” said he felt that it was a large enough demographic to support two publications...

But seriously - Tony, weed is now fine and dandy but Swisher Sweets are criminal? Really?

hwchubb,

If you did not realize it nicotine is now the bad guy on the scene, THC and harder drugs is not a threat anymore.

Flavored tobacco like Swisher Sweets are considered a gateway drug to the nicotine habit, hence it is banned. Meanwhile, Oregon voters recently approved legalizing cocaine, heroin, psychedelic mushrooms and methamphetamines for personal use. While else where in the country more states legalized Marijuana and other states raised taxes on tobacco products.

We live in interesting times.

I like a good cigar after trout fishing, with a shot or a cold one. On the flats it is fine after a nice day to relax. Never on a boat, too many fumes and it will make others seasick. Cubans are the best. Since Covid I haven't had a cigar. If I get vaccinated I might have to bust one out of the Humidor.
    Don Memmer

Cigars are fun after a day of fishing or during a break, not while fishing. A cigar is something to enjoy while sitting down relaxing, puffing away a nice maduro and complemented with a good drink, being cognac, scotch, or a nice llimoncelo. Ah the pleasures of life !!!!!!!

How about a King Edward. Do you old guys remember those. I still have some King Edwards and Roi Tan cigar boxes.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221