Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kayak Crabbing

I would like to try some blue crab.

After the dungeness molt they are soft, not full of meat and not so good for eating. It is like a 4” crab in a 6” shell. They test the crabs before they open the commercial season and delay the start if the crabs are not at least 25% meat. They also have to make sure there are no whales around that will get tangled in the ropes and that there is no domoic acid in the crabs. If all that is clear they haggle over price with the big buyers and if that gets done they start crabbing. Needless to say the commercial season never starts on time which is good for the recreational crabber because the commercial guys mop them all up pretty quickly.
    Last edited by John H; 12-13-2020 at 01:44 PM.

We stopped at a place out on Chesapeake Bay called the "Crab Shack".....to eat Blue crabs.

I love soft shell Blue crabs and eat them when I can.

Our really great older waitress told us to come back in August because the size of the Blue crabs was the largest then.

I have always heard that some use soft shell crayfish in the American river for Stripers.

I guess at certain times of the year and month the crayfish molt and are under the rocks in a soft condition.

Would love to find some and cook them up?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post

I have always heard that some use soft shell crayfish in the American river for Stripers.

I guess at certain times of the year and month the crayfish molt and are under the rocks in a soft condition.
    Back in the early/middle 2000's , I remember standing downstream of the Howe Ave. bridge on the South bank - I'd watch the Stripers (some looked to be pushing 30 Lbs.) cruising around in 3-6 feet of water . They would push rocks around w/ their noses and suck up Crayfish . Sometimes the Craws would try to squirt away , and the Stripe would do a 180 turn and slurp them up a few feet away from the turned rock . I think Jeff Goding was with me once while watching this ?

Neat stuff !

D.~

Around 40 years ago we had a real American river veteran angler coming into our shop.

He was a smaller framed, quite old, Italian gentleman, Chris was his name.

He bought some nice Camo neoprene boot foot felt sole chest waders from us.

He lived somewhere above Watt Avenue, very near the river and fish with spinning gear for everything in there.

He described to us his method of using soft hell crawfish for Stripers.

I think that certain timing was needed to find the crawfish in their molted soft condition.

He would use only a good single large hook with a soft shell crawfish for bait, tose it in the riffle at the top of a big hole.

He said it was just a matter of time and he would almost always catch a good Striper.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I fished the Black River in Arizona for smallmouth once. I did okay on the fly but the guy with me collected a bunch of crayfish for bait and cleaned up. The big bass in the deep holes were all over the crayfish. It was impressive. I would like to go back there.

I saw on the news the whales have left, the crabs are full of meat and if they negotiate a price the commercial season will start on the 23rd. Chances are they will get stuck on price and delay the start. All the fisherman stick together and nobody goes out until they settle on a price. I expect there is some vigilante enforcement of anyone trying to break ranks and fish early. When they start they go 24 hours a day to try to get all they can before the other guys do.
    Last edited by John H; 12-13-2020 at 01:53 PM.

Many years ago I read an article about catching Oregon Summer Steelhead way up rivers on Crayfish tails.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Many years ago I read an article about catching Oregon Summer Steelhead way up rivers on Crayfish tails.
    There’s a local gear guide on the American that’s says the steelhead there eat crawfish. The larger ones would have beat up noses digging them from rocks.

There is a short period when the Coho are rolling around Tillamook and are susceptible to sight fishing with casting gear. I don't see why an adventurous Kayaker with fly rod and reel wouldn't have a shot at 'em during the same time. <hint-Hint> Take pictures!
    Last edited by OceanSunfish; 12-14-2020 at 10:50 AM.

One of the best Ulua flies to have is a crayfish, they love baby lobster.
    Don Memmer