Thread: Pyramid Nov24th and Dec 3rd.

Default Pyramid Nov24th and Dec 3rd.

I met up with a friend last week at the mid. He is a novice fly fisher with minimum casting skills. I figured an indicator rig might be easier to hook up with a fish than throwing a sinking line 70 or more feet to have a chance. He did his best to get the indo rig out 30 feet. By the time the wind came up he was lucky to have a pile of floating line above his wading boots. Bless his heart, his attitude was the best. Seeing everyone around him cast their lines next to him by a magnitude, he didnÂ’t give up. He practiced, knowing he wasnÂ’t going to catch anything unless he got the rig out further. I want to end the story by saying by the end of the day he caught ten fish by throwing the rig 60 feet. Truth be told he did catch two fish. He managed to cast to the edge of the drop off. I was, as a friend, pretty proud he persevered all day without a whiff of a dunking indicator. The last half hour with low light the fish came in to the edge of the drop off ten feet from the nubie fly fisher. Sometimes the fish cooper

Today was a slow catching day little to no wind, sunny and fairly flat water. Oh and just a couple days past a full moon. Excuses excuses I did see many fishers come and go without a fish. Because so many came and went I kept thinking I should go check out some other beaches too. The little experience I have on this lake told me to keep my fly in this water. The fish will come by. Last week I brought three to hand but my fly was not in the water much. I was playing guide. Now by myself the fly lived in the lake. Good thing because I did manage to catch my big one so far this year. It scaled at 13 lbs. My for real fly fishing guru friend got two over 15 lbs. We both managed 4 to hand with another 3-4 lost grabs. Between my friend and I, a black leech stripped caught the most, followed by a brown/green balanced leech, popcorn beetle and lastly one on a blood midge.

Sounds like a success story! Are you noticing mire fish are being caught on the strip right now? I am hoping to get up there later this month.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I met up with a friend last week at the mid. He is a novice fly fisher with minimum casting skills. I figured an indicator rig might be easier to hook up with a fish than throwing a sinking line 70 or more feet to have a chance. He did his best to get the indo rig out 30 feet. By the time the wind came up he was lucky to have a pile of floating line above his wading boots. Bless his heart, his attitude was the best. Seeing everyone around him cast their lines next to him by a magnitude, he didnÂ’t give up. He practiced, knowing he wasnÂ’t going to catch anything unless he got the rig out further. I want to end the story by saying by the end of the day he caught ten fish by throwing the rig 60 feet. Truth be told he did catch two fish. He managed to cast to the edge of the drop off. I was, as a friend, pretty proud he persevered all day without a whiff of a dunking indicator. The last half hour with low light the fish came in to the edge of the drop off ten feet from the nubie fly fisher. Sometimes the fish cooper

Today was a slow catching day little to no wind, sunny and fairly flat water. Oh and just a couple days past a full moon. Excuses excuses I did see many fishers come and go without a fish. Because so many came and went I kept thinking I should go check out some other beaches too. The little experience I have on this lake told me to keep my fly in this water. The fish will come by. Last week I brought three to hand but my fly was not in the water much. I was playing guide. Now by myself the fly lived in the lake. Good thing because I did manage to catch my big one so far this year. It scaled at 13 lbs. My for real fly fishing guru friend got two over 15 lbs. We both managed 4 to hand with another 3-4 lost grabs. Between my friend and I, a black leech stripped caught the most, followed by a brown/green balanced leech, popcorn beetle and lastly one on a blood midge.
    ..."I'd rather be fishing..."

Peter V

Hey Peter good question. The lake guru catches almost all his fish stripping and whenever I’m there I catch mine on an indicator. If I were you coming later this month and I only had one pole, I would strip all day. If you want a chance for a bigger fish I would also strip. My indicator never catches the sizes of fish the lake guru stripping, although my 13 lbs was on a balanced leech under an indicator. If BS was here he’d be catching all his fish under an indo rig.

Thanks for the info. All I did last year was indo but I’ve been hearing good reports for stripping this year.

Hey Peter good question. The lake guru catches almost all his fish stripping and whenever I’m there I catch mine on an indicator. If I were you coming later this month and I only had one pole, I would strip all day. If you want a chance for a bigger fish I would also strip. My indicator never catches the sizes of fish the lake guru stripping, although my 13 lbs was on a balanced leech under an indicator. If BS was here he’d be catching all his fish under an indo rig.

Peter V

If BS was here he’d be catching all his fish under an indo rig.
    I do like my cator rigs.

I've been pretty quiet the last couple of weeks........

Our house became COVID-19 POSITIVE on Thanksgiving Day.

I'm still not back to my normal yet.

I'm still here, reading up on the reports with my limited amounts of energy.

This Covid-19 sucks...................................

Bob

I’m sorry to hear that Bob. I hope your household has a speedy recovery and you can get back on The Mid.

Quote Originally Posted by BS View Post
    I do like my cator rigs.

I've been pretty quiet the last couple of weeks........

Our house became COVID-19 POSITIVE on Thanksgiving Day.

I'm still not back to my normal yet.

I'm still here, reading up on the reports with my limited amounts of energy.

This Covid-19 sucks...................................

Bob

Peter V

So sorry to hear you and your family have Covid. I’m glad you have the the inclination and energy to respond to us. I will take that as a good sign. We’re doing our best to keep the fish patient awaiting your special midges. In the meantime special prayers of healing for you Bob and your family.

Got this tagged fish under an indicator yesterday. Balanced black cowboy. Great fighting fish. We will keep the reports coming in honor of the BS household until he is back on the water. K
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20201205_191223.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	134.4 KB 
ID:	16434  
    "The only time we're guaranteed, is the time we've already had. So make the most of every day!"

Bill, Peter, Kraig........................

Thank you for your healing well wishes for my family and I.

We've been very diligent with the mask wearing, hand sanitizing, and social distancing since this Covid crap started.

As a matter of fact, we passed on my In-Laws visiting for Thanksgiving.
    That was, in hindsight, a REALLY good decision to protect them. They're in their upper 80's.

Sorry about de-railing your Pyramid Report Bill, just wanted to let you all know it may be a little while before I'm able to go out and play.

Keep the reports coming guys...........

If I can't fish, the next best thing is reading about those who did !!!

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 12-08-2020 at 01:08 PM.

Bob it’s not a hi jack when we’re talking about your dang cutthroats . Please come and join us whenever you feel better. I’m going this Wednesday and taking only one pole. Going to try naked nymphing with a midge and balanced leech.