Thread: Sac River 11/29/2020 - skunked

Default Sac River 11/29/2020 - skunked

Trying a new location today. Only had a few hours to fish and wanted to be off water by 12:00. Launched from Brannan Island SP. Fished out towards Three Mile Slough Bridge and a little bit of the west bank of Decker. Every time I drive over that bridge I always think the water looks fishy. Found some water that would probably be good for largemouth in summertime. Drifted the incoming tide back into Three mile slough and fished down about half way. Not one bite.... Water temp was 51F.

That looks like a good kayak put in. You have a few different directions to go and there is potential wind protection. I may try that for bass next year. I put in at the ferry a few miles upstream once. I did not like the shoreline up there much for bass. A lot of it was shallow and muddy without cover but some was fishy.

What flies and line are you using for the stripers?

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    Trying a new location today. Only had a few hours to fish and wanted to be off water by 12:00. Launched from Brannan Island SP. Fished out towards Three Mile Slough Bridge and a little bit of the west bank of Decker. Every time I drive over that bridge I always think the water looks fishy. Found some water that would probably be good for largemouth in summertime. Drifted the incoming tide back into Three mile slough and fished down about half way. Not one bite.... Water temp was 51F.
    Have you thought about putting your Kayak in at Antioch Marina? It's big water, but not much different vs. navigating the SJ upriver. Sherman Lake Boat Ramp is Sacramento County so the annual pass for the county applies. Antioch or Big Break accesses would save you bridge toll if you're coming from Martinez.

The "west bank" has become very popular with Kayak fisherman and I surmise they access from Sherman Lake ramp. They are not fly fishing, but nonetheless, the kayak fisherman are figuring out how it can work for them......

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post
    Have you thought about putting your Kayak in at Antioch Marina? It's big water, but not much different vs. navigating the SJ upriver. Sherman Lake Boat Ramp is Sacramento County so the annual pass for the county applies. Antioch or Big Break accesses would save you bridge toll if you're coming from Martinez.

The "west bank" has become very popular with Kayak fisherman and I surmise they access from Sherman Lake ramp. They are not fly fishing, but nonetheless, the kayak fisherman are figuring out how it can work for them......
    Forgot to add that I think the Delta is quite the place for Kayak fishing platforms. The fishery/bait production is not consistently what it was decades ago so you're not missing out on a wide open bite somewhere to which you would look over your shoulder or check in with friends, etc. then zoom over in your motor boat.

The glide type swimbaits and casting gear is incredibly ideal for kayak fishing the delta for striped bass. For some dedicated gear anglers, the fishery has become quality vs. quantity. Many are out there to get the loner bigger fish as opposed to the "cookie cutter" juveniles. You can be very surgical with a kayak.

With the ecosystem decline continuing, the CA F&G Commission and CA DFW not supporting Striped Bass, and all the other detriments to the fishery, I actually believe there will be more Kayaks used to fish from in the delta vs. expensive-to-operate-boats. The kayak costs scale with the fishery and the fishing will be quite satisfactory. No gas consumption other than a vehicle and very intimate fishing experience to boot. I see more and more kayaks with each year. Fun stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That looks like a good kayak put in. You have a few different directions to go and there is potential wind protection. I may try that for bass next year. I put in at the ferry a few miles upstream once. I did not like the shoreline up there much for bass. A lot of it was shallow and muddy without cover but some was fishy.

What flies and line are you using for the stripers?
    I have been using 8 wt Scientific Anglers sonar titan line that is intermediate/sink3/sink5. It has been working pretty well but seems to tangle a lot. Not sure if that is typical or not. I may try a sinking shooting head some time as I think there would be less false casting...

For flies, I have been fishing just one and it's not a Clouser... Look up "the chosen one" by Gunnar Brammer on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by OceanSunfish View Post

I haven't tried the Antioch marina. For some reason, I am slightly adverse to the salt... I should be fishing the snot out of Sherman...or Napa river...or the bay....I just checked the maps and I may have to hit up that launch. Could always pack the yak back up and head inland if I'm not feeling it...thanks for the tip!