Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Klamath River Dam Removal

Quote Originally Posted by Fishtopher View Post
    Great news for the Klamath. Hopefully with the states of CA and OR on the hook for liability, that will be enough for FERC to approve license surrender. This has been a long time coming.

This removal is unique in that the fish passage issues are not the biggest barrier to recovery. Fish passage improvements are just a bonus. Instead conditions created by the reservoirs has resulted in major water quality issues downstream. With the dams removed, scientists estimate up to a 10 degree drop in summer water temperatures on the mainstem. In addition, higher winter flows should largely eliminate the polychaete worm that serves as a host to C. shasta. This should help juvenile salmonids immensely since their mortality in recent years has been above 90%, mostly due to disease.

Another bright spot of removal is that it should largely eliminate the blue-green algae problem which has resulted in no contact orders for people living along the river.
    Great post, very informative!

Jim

CalTrout had a Q&A session on the dam removal project a few days ago.

here's the link to the Q&A recording I was emailed. hopefully it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Trouter925 View Post
    CalTrout had a Q&A session on the dam removal project a few days ago.

here's the link to the Q&A recording I was emailed. hopefully it works.
    Good Stuff- thanks for informing us. Looks like it may actually happen.

Jim

Another step closer!!! The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) yesterday approved the transfer of the Lower Klamath Project License from PacifiCorp to the Klamath River Renewal Corporation (KRRC) and the States of Oregon and California.

http://www.klamathrenewal.org/press-releases/

Exciting......I hope I am still alive to witness it.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

The approval process is painfully slow. Government operations can be frustrating at times. Let’s break ground before something goes wrong and derails it.

I've heard the spiel from Kurtis Knight down here at a local Orvis store a couple years back.
    and probably a couple years before that.
    i think i got excited about this back in 2010.
    And when they were finally removed in 2015... Oh wait, never happened.

Call me Buzz Kill, but this has been a next year thing, for over a decade.
    It seems every year a step closer, but then they have to get another approval, another agreement, another signature, create another committee, almost as if no one really knows all of what has to happen.

these dams will still be standing in 2025, Jeeez just go in and set some charges and let it rip for God's sake.
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

They are starting to award contracts for dam demolition and river restoration so I do think the dam removal will proceed sooner rather than later.

How's this going?
    are they still there?

I'll check back next year
    Steelhead gear = $6287, no of adults caught = 3, amortized cost = $2,095.67, beaching that 30" fish and letting it go = priceless

FERC issued the final EIS today for removing the lower four mainstem Klamath dams, and is recommending that the FERC license be surrendered and the project decommissioned!

https://www.ferc.gov/news-events/new...th-and-klamath
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov