I was daydreaming of a time when it’s safe to travel to the Yucatan the other day and stumbled across the notice that Victor Castro, owner and guide for Osprey Tours, had passed. I’m guessing that some folks here may have had the pleasure of meeting and fishing with him. Although I’m not sure his exact age, I can say he was far to young and full of life to go.

https://xcalak-flyfishing.com

My wife and I had the very good fortune to spend a few days fishing with him over the holidays of 2019. He was an amazingly kind, knowledgeable, friendly, and patient man. He was the kind of guy who tried to apologize for being at fault when I managed to fall out of the boat; despite the fact that it was about 99% my own fault, he tried to allow me to save face by taking the blame himself. I was too busy laughing, and so was my wife...after he realized that everything was ok he allowed his own laughter too. In short, he was absolutely the perfect guide for us saltwater newbies and I cannot imagine a more enjoyable guy to spend a day in the boat with. We also managed to hook quite a few fish, including our first bonefish, Tarpon, and permit! We even managed to land a few too... To say we had a blast would be an understatement! We had really looked forward to going back someday soon and fishing with him, and were both quite sad to hear he was gone. Looks like his sons are continuing on with the business, and I have high confidence that a guy like Victor would raise nothing less than stellar gentlemen and professional guides. We still hope to go back soon, and look forward to meeting more of the family, but Victor will be missed.

P.S. for those who have met Victor, and wanted to make a few comments to his family, I know his sons have been touched by some of the emails they have been getting from some of his clients. I had a very nice email from Victor jr in response to the condolences and stories I shared with him.