Thread: Berryessa

Default Berryessa

I'd like to learn Berryessa. I've fished it twice, did get a couple of trout on a fly that were much nicer than what we typically get in Folsom above 20'. We have Folsom pretty dialed in for bass, so this would be a trout lake for me.

I'd hire a guide but can't find any that fly fish it. Any suggestions on where to launch and targeting would be so great, thanks.

John,

30 to 40 years ago many fly fishers would fish the low elevation Nor Cal reservoirs in the Fall (Oct/Nov) when the schools of Threadfin

Shad were on the surface being eaten by trout and other gamefish when these lakes "turned over."

Popular reservoirs were Shasta, Almanor, Butte, Folsom, Berryessa, Collins, Oroville but I am sure dozens more were popular too.

Many have worked there way down into the Delta to like the "lakey" areas like the Port of Stockton, Port of Sacramento, Fracks Tract

and Mildred Island.

Many used float tubes, the round ones, other used boats.

Most used a weight forward floating line to cast into the schools of Shad being busted by gamefish.

A nice calm day is what you are looking for, take binoculars. Look for birds.

Hal Janssen designed a floating mylar minnow that was popular.

I heard Mike Monroe sometimes used a #12 grey dubbed nymph to imitated the smaller size Shad.

Andy Puyans and Bob Quigley liked to go the Shasta lake in the Fall for the Threadfin activity.

Neil Hansen liked Berryessa in the Fall.

Al Perryman and Bob Long liked Collins Lake in the Fall too.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Berryessa

Quote Originally Posted by JAWallace View Post
    I'd like to learn Berryessa. I've fished it twice, did get a couple of trout on a fly that were much nicer than what we typically get in Folsom above 20'. We have Folsom pretty dialed in for bass, so this would be a trout lake for me.

I'd hire a guide but can't find any that fly fish it. Any suggestions on where to launch and targeting would be so great, thanks.
    Call Ryan Williams at North Valley Fly Fishing.

Vaughn

Do not overlook the smallies at Berryessa. The trout are planted at Berryessa, fun but not as fun as the smallies. If you want trout, go to Davis.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    Do not overlook the smallies at Berryessa. The trout are planted at Berryessa, fun but not as fun as the smallies. If you want trout, go to Davis.
    Trout are planted there but there are eagle lake trout planted there that are big and strong. I’m sure they’ve got a spawning population that goes up putah creek when it’s a good water year. If you’ve ever fished putah below the dam I’m sure you’ve caught trout that were once in berryessa as well. Not to mention some trout with cutthroat markings in PC. Those were spawn from stocked fish too.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 11-16-2020 at 11:55 AM.

Lake Berryessa in the Spring time is Dave Hudson's favorite Smallmouth fishery.

In the Fall and Winter it has been a popular trout lake for many.

Locals from the Flyfishers of Davis fish the Smallmouth every Spring.

Old timers Chuck Bobby and our tax accessor Bill Lynch told me they used poppers along the steep drop offs for Smallmouth in

the Spring time from their aluminum boat.

50 years ago my dad and I top line trolled Berryessa on a calm day. With 100 feet of 6 pound mono out we trolled

small baitfish lures, Rapalas, right under the surface. When we hooked nice Rainbows they would greyhound like a marlin.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You might also try Patrick McKenzie. He guides fly fishing trips on Lake Berryessa. I have been very impressed when I have hired him.

https://www.mackenzieonthefly.com/