Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably priced lightweight battery

Default short answer is yes, but,

JohnSv:
    You did not say what HP your motor is which can make a difference in amps needed to start.
    Ya, one good battery would do the job but you "should not" use your starting battery for the trolling motor unless you have a manual start option on your motor, Shit happens, as they say, and you do not want to end up in a position where you can not start the motor because you used up the battery with the trolling motor in some unforeseen circumstance.

I guess it would be good if your alternator on your outboard motor charged both your starting battery and your trolling batteries?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks
    My outboard does have a pull start. Will look into the alternator. I assume it did but on reading a bit, it was right around the time they started to have alternators

Amg batteries are the best for a pontoon, from my point of view. They are definitely worth the price. The biggest perk is they hold their charge. You can charge it in the fall, come spring it's still 100% charged. I know mine has lasted quite a bit longer than my old lead batteries. AGM batteries are more expensive than flooded lead-acid batteries, and they do not last quite as long. But for that extra price, you get the luxury of not having to maintain the batteries or deal with as much gas that is released during the charging phase. At https://batterytools.net/ you can find more information about battery types, their charging time, and much more valuable information on this matter.
    Last edited by Traceyblade; 05-30-2021 at 10:28 PM.

Avidangler

I’m probably going to get the Dakota 100ah battery soon. Did they send the 10 amp charger with yours?
    Second question, is your trolling motor the endurance max with the built in PWM? They claim it helps conserve battery up to 5x. (Doubtful).

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by ARichcrook View Post
    Avidangler

I’m probably going to get the Dakota 100ah battery soon. Did they send the 10 amp charger with yours?
    Second question, is your trolling motor the endurance max with the built in PWM? They claim it helps conserve battery up to 5x. (Doubtful).

Rich
    Yes the charger came with it and works great. My motor is the 45 endura max. I believe it does help conserve energy but I have no real way to quantify that.

Hi,
    I had a Dakota 50aH battery back-ordered since April but canceled that order and bought a 100aH Rebel lithium battery. The cost was $539 plus shipping. I bought a lithium battery charger on Amazon for $110. The Rebel battery can be connected to your phone so you can see how much charge is left on the battery. I don’t think Dakota battery has that feature.

The rebel came with 60% charge and 58aH and tried it today on the lake. I ran the battery down to 25% and 23ah left on my 30lb minkota electric motor . I’m charging the battery now. I was pleased with the battery although it was the first trip on the battery.

Ok so this thread hasn’t been alive for a few months now. Some questions for you lithium battery owners. I purchased one to run my fish finder and Minnkota 30 trolling motor. Battery works great and is half the weight of my former one. But, I have burned out the controller in my motor twice now. First time two weeks ago it went kaput at the far end of the reservoir and I had to row back. Yesterday I lost only reverse speeds so at least I could motor back.
    Questions I have are; 1. Has anyone else had this problem.
    2. Is there a way to use this battery without causing this problem.

Motor is Endura C2 30lb thrust
    Battery is SOK lithium iron phosphate 12.8 v 100ah

Thanks for any help.

Rich

Interesting report.......
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi,
    I’ve used my rebel 100ah battery on my 30lb thrust minn Kota about 6-7 times without an issue.

MarkZ