Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Reasonably priced lightweight battery

Default Reasonably priced lightweight battery

Hey all. I'm tired of lugging around heavy deep cycle batteries for my pontoon. I recently bought a Minn Kota Endura Max 45 lb thrust motor for my pontoon,a Discovery 9. I'd like a battery thats a little lighter that wont break the bank,that will power my motor and give me decent hours of trolling in a morning. Any suggestions? Been eyeballing the agm batteries. I have yet to see a lithium ion that won't cost more than my pontoon and motor! Thanks in advance- Robert

Look at Batteries Plus Bulbs website........

I just bought an AGM battery for my RV that has a 30 month warranty.

Go to YouTube and type in "best deal on AGM batteries"?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

You should be looking at close to 100 amp hours. That will hold you for a long day, maybe two half days. I'd budget $150 or so, and yes get AGM. The AGMs weigh about the same as your lead acid battery so if that worked on your toon the AGM should too. I would go to Batteries Plus, Bass Pro on a sale, or Amazon for a no name which has been fine for me in the past.
    Last edited by JAWallace; 11-13-2020 at 11:03 PM.

Mighty Max AGM AH SLA 35amphr. It will give about 5hrs if you don't use the higher speeds. About 65 bucks. very handy.

In the long run lifepo batteries are cheaper, run longer and half the weight. Do the math. Battle Born batteries in Reno has 10 year warranty. You can get as many as 5000 cycles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bkane View Post
    In the long run lifepo batteries are cheaper, run longer and half the weight. Do the math. Battle Born batteries in Reno has 10 year warranty. You can get as many as 5000 cycles.
    I watch a lot of videos and studied all this too because I use so many batteries, particularly in a motorhome.

In the long run Lithiums seem to be the best deal for several reasons.

You can only draw a lead/acid battery down 50% before they start to self destruct.

Lithiums can be drawn down almost 100% giving you more AHs.

But at $1,000 a whack it is psychologically difficult........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I took the plunge and got a 54AH Dakota,with a free charger,free shipping. I hope I get it sooner rather than later so I can give a review on it. Should be perfect for my pontoon and trolling motor. It ran a bit over 500 bucks,but with an 11 year warranty and how often I fish it should pay for itself.Weighs 17 pounds!! Thanks for the suggestions. -Robert

It's my understanding that a lithium battery can produce 20% - 50% more amp hours than a lead acid battery. If that is true, the economics might be more attractive.

Couple of days ago I was on the Delta from 10am to 4pm, and using the 55# bow mount trolling motor almost the entire time, along with the sonar. I was running full speed towards the end of the tide as it was ripping and much less speed and I would drop back. This isn't unusual on the D. The charger tell me it's at 60% now. That's down there.

I wonder if it's true that I could get say a 75ah lithium battery and maintain equivalency with my 100ah AGM battery? I would never have less than 100ah lead acid for my use. Float tube/pontoon might be a little less.

The way I understand it is even as the lithium battery gets discharged it maintains steady flow of power so you don't get that drop in power . When a Lead or AMG gets drawn down it doesn't maintain enough juice to power the motor. That was a major selling point for me,and hence longer days on the water. But the smaller footprint and lighter weight was my number 1 reason for the switch.

I chose the 54 AH because it's a pontoon and I read reviews and specs and it will power my motor no sweat. Time will tell about how many hours in a day. I rarely go over 1/2 capacity on the motor. The 100AH was damn near twice as much as the 54 and no way will I shell out that kind of dough.