Thread: Covid in CI

Default Covid in CI

https://theworldcoronavirus.com/kiribati

Looks like Kiribati got hit hard by Covid. I don't know the breakdown for each island, but it doesn't look good. We had a trip planned for January with one week on CI and one week on Fanning, but had to cancel. I know they were on lock down last year. We couldn't get off the plane from Fiji last March. If anyone has any more information please share. i am praying for my friends and their families there.
    Don Memmer

I think you are referring to Tarawa as Kiritimati has been a no-go from the very beginning of the pandemic,and with a population of more than 60,000 the capital is overcrowded and polluted....thus the rumours about relocating it to C.I.
    Personally I doubt Kiritimati will open to tourism until the population is vaccinated.

I would guess that COVID-19 is very bad for Third World countries. Sad.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Third World,

As for living in Third World countries,,, my daughter has been living in Argentina for the last couple of years and has had to relocate to Cordoba which is about fifty miles from their property. In order for her to go shopping or work at the ranch she has to go through at least three police check points. Even for grocery shopping in town she gets stopped. They want to know everything as to where you're going, why are you going, good ID with papers, etc.

She can't wait to get out of the country there and come home to the states.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180

the 45 million people living in Argentina might disagree with your 'third world' characterization

Quote Originally Posted by marvid View Post
    the 45 million people living in Argentina might disagree with your 'third world' characterization
    And that’s why in the good ol US you have the right to have different view points.

even in the 'good ole' us of a' there is a thin line between a different view point and bigotry.....

Let's not get too rabid here. To be fair Argentina is perhaps best labelled a second tier country, but much higher than Third World. Early in the 1900's they were one of the richest countries in the world. Currently they rank 48th on the Human Development scale, which is second highest in South America. For comparison, Mexico is ranked 76th. Argentina has a 99% literacy rate. Argentina is considered a "high income" country in the World Bank listings. To be fair, they do not have the most stable political system, but hey, let's look at the USA right now.

McFish,

I apologize for getting off the fishing topic. You're right about "not getting too rabid" here but I hear stories from my daughter about all the goings on down there and it just struck a nerve.

Lets get back to fly fishing and Christmas Is.
    Tony
    TONY BUZOLICH
    Feather River Fly
    Yuba City, CA.
    (530) 790-7180