Thread: Murderer's Bar

Default Murderer's Bar

We spent a few days fishing the Murderer's Bar area of the Klamath. There was no algae to be seen which was a relief and the fish numbers seemed to be decent. We got a lot of half pounders in the 12" to 15" range and a decent number of what I would call adults in the 17" to 20" range. It is always a little hard for me to decide what is an adult and what is a half pounder so I usually figure the break is at about 16" but I expect there is overlap. We floated a couple of new sections of the river. It is always good to learn some new water and have a few float options so you can dodge the crowd or just keep things fresh by moving around each day. We found some new good swinging runs. You can never have too many good swinging runs. We had a good cabin to stay in which was lucky because everything in town was booked for fire clean up work. We broke a rod but Sage should fix it up as good as new for not too much money. Generally we had a pretty good time which is always the goal.

The Klamath is very nice fall trip if you have the chance to do it. A big river full of wild steelhead in a remote part of California. What more could you want. Tear down the dams!!!

Wonderful report...as usual......I think Andy is up there now.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How’s floating the Klamath? I was planning on heading there this year but plans got switched to the Eel or somewhere around there depending on weather at the end of December. Im planning on heading there next year. Gonna try to get my oldest daughter (5yrs old) out there on her first steelhead.

How is floating the Klamath?

It is a beautiful river with plenty of fishy water but there are some big rapids. Check the stream time map or something but make sure there is nothing on your float you can’t handle. You don’t want to sink the boat with your kids on board.

Beautiful. Your pictures truly capture the reason the species was named "Steelhead". Looking at the fish from the gills up.....