Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overnight Float Camping Question

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    That is quite a trip. If I remember right Tom Stienstra of the SF Chronicle did that and wrote a couple of articles about it. My brother in law wants to do that on the Yellowstone in a canoe. Hopefully he will get motivated next year and invite me to go with him.
    That sounds epic. Where would be your start and end points be? No boats allowed in the Park (plus those dang waterfalls). I'm guessing you would put in at Gardiner?

I was considering doing a float from Weitchpec to the lower Klamath in pontoons but I couldn't get anyone to get fired up enough to go with me. It would be an epic adventure,not sure what the deal would be camping up there.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    I was considering doing a float from Weitchpec to the lower Klamath in pontoons but I couldn't get anyone to get fired up enough to go with me. It would be an epic adventure,not sure what the deal would be camping up there.
    I believe you would be on tribal lands on that trip. Epic adventure for sure, but probably not in a good way.

Quote Originally Posted by hwchubb View Post
    I believe you would be on tribal lands on that trip. Epic adventure for sure, but probably not in a good way.
    LOL I will pass

I don't think that anyone cares if you camp on the Klamath below Weichpec on a gravel bar. I've done it without any trouble. If you do go, keep a clean camp, there are more than a few bears in the area. I was told by one of the locals that they relocate the Yosemite trouble makers to the lower Klamath area. Might be true, we had one try to break into our truck at Pecwan. The other thing is, once you get past Johnson's there is a lot of flat water. A jet boat makes short work of it, a pontoon or drift boat not so much.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 11-16-2020 at 05:02 PM.

Tahoe Joe is there any hairy water down there I should know about?

Ralph -

Park boundary to the Missouri I think. I read a short report from someone who did it. 550 miles or something like that. You need a raft at the top but after that a canoe is the way to go. There are towns close to the river for resupply. Fly fishing for catfish is supposed to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    Tahoe Joe is there any hairy water down there I should know about?
    There's one class III drop at Coon Creek between Weichpec and Johnson's. It's pretty much a straight shot and runnable in a driftboat. You should portage it with a pontoon boat.

Dude, that is not so simple, just like Ralph told you above, you are allowed to camp on any public land, for as long as you want. As soon as it is a private land, the situation is totally different. I have had a problem a couple of years ago, when I was camping with my sons, and we actually entered some private area, however we did not even know that it is a private area, as there was no sign of it. I got a pretty hefty fine after that, besides all that I lost my head light and my older son broke his hand. Freaking great weekend.
    Last edited by Ritsuko; 07-05-2021 at 08:05 AM.