Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight Float Camping Question

Default Overnight Float Camping Question

From what I understood, any navigable river, that can be accessed from a public entrance, is fair game to stop and fish as long as you stay below the high water mark, unless there is a mining claim in that particular spot. How does it work with overnight camping though? I realize that landowners don't see it that away and have come across this when stopping at different runs to fish when floating the Russian river where I live, of course I wouldn't stop and camp in such spots even if it was legal below the high water mark as that seems like I would be asking for trouble.

I'm interested in doing some overnight floats on coastal rivers north of the Russian this winter, one in particular would mostly be on state park land. Even if state park is designated campground fee camping only, as long as stay below the high water mark I should be OK, right? Reached out to state parks and haven't heard back yet ��. Would appreciate any input on this, I'm assuming if people stop and camp on overnight trips on the lower Sac I should be able to, out here, as long as it's not in someone's backyard?

It is legal to camp on public lands as long as there isn't a reasonable alternative nearby. It's a law the homeless use every day. Try it and see what happens.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Don't you just love laws that rely on such well-defined, quantifiable terms such as "reasonable" and "nearby"?

I do not know the "rules" on this but a friend I commonly fish with has opened me up to the overnight option. Mostly we have done this on bodies of still water but he has done it also on rivers. It generally involves pulling over in a secluded spot and camping on the boat. In a drift boat you need plywood planks to bivy on. Minimalist standards for the camp necessities. I would not hesitate to do it on a river bar though likely would blow off a tent, chairs or any of the camp luxuries to minimize the footprint/maximize stealth. We just spent 4 nights in the delta on a 17' boat and camp each night was either an empty dock, tied off to a snag or whatever viable spot we ended the night fishing near.

I have done some overnight river floats. They are an adventure. Enjoying your float is the most important thing. If you get hassled about your camp site it will be a bummer of a trip regardless of who was in the right. I think you want to have a pretty good idea of where you will camp before launching. I would not camp within sight of a house. They will see your tents and fire and get nervous and if they are uncomfortable I am uncomfortable. Gravel bars and islands are great because you are clearly in the river. The State Park people won’t want you camping in the park but you will likely come and go before they even know you are there.

I would like to float the Trinity from Lewiston to Pigeon Point. It is a three or four day float with good camping options and there are a couple of stores along the way for cold beer if you run out. My goal at one time was to do a float where the shuttle was $100. I have broken that barrier few times.

When I was about 8 (1972) we did an overnight canoe trip on the Russian. I remember seeing a lot of turtles.
    Last edited by John H; 11-12-2020 at 12:56 PM.

sometimes it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission. if you are floating through Navarro state park, as John mentioned above, you'll probably be in and out of camp before anyone knows you are there especially if you choose a place out of sight of the highway and don't make a big production of it.

Thanks very much for the responses guys. Yes im thinking keeping it subtle is the key.

I spent three weeks kayaking from Lake Shastina to the Bay. Camped every night on the shore, but tried to use islands as much as possible. Met some interesting people living on the water, but never felt a hint of hostility or animosity. Just be discrete and clean up behind you.

That is quite a trip. If I remember right Tom Stienstra of the SF Chronicle did that and wrote a couple of articles about it. My brother in law wants to do that on the Yellowstone in a canoe. Hopefully he will get motivated next year and invite me to go with him.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

That'd be one heckuva trip..Yellowstone River to SF Bay