Thread: Pyramid Yesterday

Default Pyramid Yesterday

I have been itching to fish the Mid since its opening las week. Its been since March of last year I last visited the lake. I looked over my notes from the previous time in November 2019 to see what worked and what didn't. I checked over BS's visits on this board to see his experiences from a year ago. I reread the book "Guide to Fly Fishing Pyramid Lake" and lastly I checked to see what all the guides were reporting as they are now permitted to take clients onto the lake. I was now totally over whelmed with too much knowledge

I checked the forecast looking for a good day to make the 2 and 1/2 hour trek up to the Mid for my favorite Lahonton Cutthroat trout. The forecast for yesterday was a high of 51 and light winds with sun. It looked good enough to make the drive as the roads were clear but lined with the new fallen snows from the weekend. The 17 degrees driving through Truckee reminded me of the winter just around the corner to come.

I got to the summit over looking the lake, you all know the spot. It looked so gorgeous and at the same time like I was descending on the moon scape. The deep blue lake reminded me of last year's rendezvous with the fish of my dreams. So I drive down to my favorite beach, upon arriving, I am ready to shake off the long drive with a visit to to the men's restroom. I discover all the doors are locked So just a FYI you might do your business in Reno before you drive all the way out to the lake or bring your own roll of toilet paper in case of an emergency. I guess my $24 didn't include bathroom privileges.

I drive up to my beach and notice the water level has been drawn down from my previous visits last year. Today I will be fishing from a shelf high and dry which was the shelf I was fishing last year. The advantage this year is I was able to fish without a ladder. I brought two, a six foot and a 8 foot incase the levels did change but I left them in the car. I had four poles ready to go with varying lines and flies. Too much preparedness goes a long way to over compensate as you will see.

I am ready to go in the water, finally!!! I see my friend who I haven't seen in almost a year in the water. We are the only ones on this beach. I was thinking the new prices are keeping many from coming out to enjoy the lake, fish and friends. We compare notes. He has caught four fish already and he tells me he caught nine the day before. He's hard core and a student of the lake. I get this deja vu moment setting up the feeling I should have been here yesterday not today. I try my beetle/bugger combo with a sinking tip for an hour with not a nudge. In the meantime he catches two more, harrumph!!! Time for my second line, this set up I have never tried before but the guide reports were raving that an indo rig with a balanced leech was slaying them. So my first cast produces a five pounder Now I'm a believer. For the next three hours my friend and I exchanged turns catching fish. Two of his were really bigggggg!!!!! One was fifteen pounds and the second over twenty. The twenty pounder couldn't fit in my big net. It was by far the biggest fish I have witnessed on the lake. I have heard November finds the biggest fish of the year to the net. I also witnessed another guy next to me catch a 13lb fish as well. I need to add when we started to catch fish in numbers a slew of cars showed up dispelling the notion prices were keeping fishers off the lake. In fact yesterday I saw the most people I have seem ever on the this beach, a total of 12. The total number of fish caught on the beach was low for the total of fly fishers trying. I saw three other fish caught by the other ten fishermen. The size of each though was quite big.

I was fortunate to have a good day. My friend was striping for his 8 fish and two pigs. I was quite opposite in my style with indicator and a leech. We both had a good day. I caught two over ten pounds and a total of 12 to hand and lost another four. I am so lucky to have the time, health and friends to enjoy this special fishery. Hope you all get to experience tight lines on this wonderful Pyramid Lake.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    I have been itching to fish the Mid since its opening las week. Its been since March of last year I last visited the lake. I looked over my notes from the previous time in November 2019 to see what worked and what didn't. I checked over BS's visits on this board to see his experiences from a year ago. I reread the book "Guide to Fly Fishing Pyramid Lake" and lastly I checked to see what all the guides were reporting as they are now permitted to take clients onto the lake. I was now totally over whelmed with too much knowledge

I checked the forecast looking for a good day to make the 2 and 1/2 hour trek up to the Mid for my favorite Lahonton Cutthroat trout. The forecast for yesterday was a high of 51 and light winds with sun. It looked good enough to make the drive as the roads were clear but lined with the new fallen snows from the weekend. The 17 degrees driving through Truckee reminded me of the winter just around the corner to come.

I got to the summit over looking the lake, you all know the spot. It looked so gorgeous and at the same time like I was descending on the moon scape. The deep blue lake reminded me of last year's rendezvous with the fish of my dreams. So I drive down to my favorite beach, upon arriving, I am ready to shake off the long drive with a visit to to the men's restroom. I discover all the doors are locked So just a FYI you might do your business in Reno before you drive all the way out to the lake or bring your own roll of toilet paper in case of an emergency. I guess my $24 didn't include bathroom privileges.

I drive up to my beach and notice the water level has been drawn down from my previous visits last year. Today I will be fishing from a shelf high and dry which was the shelf I was fishing last year. The advantage this year is I was able to fish without a ladder. I brought two, a six foot and a 8 foot incase the levels did change but I left them in the car. I had four poles ready to go with varying lines and flies. Too much preparedness goes a long way to over compensate as you will see.

I am ready to go in the water, finally!!! I see my friend who I haven't seen in almost a year in the water. We are the only ones on this beach. I was thinking the new prices are keeping many from coming out to enjoy the lake, fish and friends. We compare notes. He has caught four fish already and he tells me he caught nine the day before. He's hard core and a student of the lake. I get this deja vu moment setting up the feeling I should have been here yesterday not today. I try my beetle/bugger combo with a sinking tip for an hour with not a nudge. In the meantime he catches two more, harrumph!!! Time for my second line, this set up I have never tried before but the guide reports were raving that an indo rig with a balanced leech was slaying them. So my first cast produces a five pounder Now I'm a believer. For the next three hours my friend and I exchanged turns catching fish. Two of his were really bigggggg!!!!! One was fifteen pounds and the second over twenty. The twenty pounder couldn't fit in my big net. It was by far the biggest fish I have witnessed on the lake. I have heard November finds the biggest fish of the year to the net. I also witnessed another guy next to me catch a 13lb fish as well. I need to add when we started to catch fish in numbers a slew of cars showed up dispelling the notion prices were keeping fishers off the lake. In fact yesterday I saw the most people I have seem ever on the this beach, a total of 12. The total number of fish caught on the beach was low for the total of fly fishers trying. I saw three other fish caught by the other ten fishermen. The size of each though was quite big.

I was fortunate to have a good day. My friend was striping for his 8 fish and two pigs. I was quite opposite in my style with indicator and a leech. We both had a good day. I caught two over ten pounds and a total of 12 to hand and lost another four. I am so lucky to have the time, health and friends to enjoy this special fishery. Hope you all get to experience tight lines on this wonderful Pyramid Lake.
    Good job on landing some pigs there Bill.

I appreciate your report.

I was wondering when the first Pyramid report was going to pop up here !!!!!

So, a leech under a 'cator......................dam it.....................

Dang Cutthroats,

Bob

Hey Bob, one of your posts from last year about this time had you using the same rig with good results. So you helped in me using the same. I hope to hear a report from you soon. I like reading your stories better than my own

Quinn -

That is a huge day at Pyramid or anywhere for that matter. Is that your best day ever at Pyramid? That would be my best day there ever by a lot. I think my best day is 7 fish with a couple of five pounders. I got a ten up to the beach once but it was not handled well and got away before I could get a photo or a length or feel like I caught it. Thanks for the report. It makes me want to head up there.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Quinn -

That is a huge day at Pyramid or anywhere for that matter. Is that your best day ever at Pyramid? That would be my best day there ever by a lot. I think my best day is 7 fish with a couple of five pounders. I got a ten up to the beach once but it was not handled well and got away before I could get a photo or a length or feel like I caught it. Thanks for the report. It makes me want to head up there.
    Not going to lie, that was my best day ever by a wide margin. I’m like you, my best day before this trip was 7 to hand. Just remember, some days work out for whatever reason and other days especially at Pyramid you’re experimenting. I am always comforted to know when I go to the the lake it is filled with hundreds of thousands of Cutthroats. I am further delighted by knowing these fish are not shy to go after flies presented in front of them.
    It’s a world class fishery right in our backyard.
    Last edited by Quinnphoto; 11-14-2020 at 11:04 PM.