Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Salmon/steelhead near Fort Bragg?

I do caught my first Steelhead in 1949, on the Ten Mile Moved to the bay Area for 15 years, and did a lot of traveling. Argentina for Sea Run Browns, Russia for Atlantic Salmon, Mexico for Bonefish, Tarpon and Permit, Dorado in Baja.

Noyo55 - Tenmile River in 1949? That is fascinating to me . A window into the past. I have been there and on other rivers in that area and I look at them and wonder what they were like. Would you mind talking about that a little? I assume you were young, you went with your dad or mom, gear fished and took it home. I expect everyone worked at the mill back then and fished on the day off. Thanks.

Tom might be our oldest member, around 80ish?

I was so happy when they did the movie, "River of a Lost Coast" and got lots of the info saved.

I knew many in the movie, lots of them have passed since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wmo_q6fh2gw
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was raised in the Beachcomber Motel. About the time you caught your first steelhead, the motel was just a few years old or maybe was under construction. My folks bought it in 1971. I haven't been back there in nearly 30 years. I heard it has changed a bit and I'm sure you have seen alot of undergo dramatic changes. I saw the other day, the Russians are Coming, the Russians are coming, and reminded me of how tranquil the place used to be.

Access and timing on those rivers are your two greatest obstacles. Most folks stick to the Gualala. And that isn't as good as it used to be.

I have stayed at the beachcomber a few times. I ran into a woman up there a couple of years ago who watched the filming of the Russians are Coming. Her mom took her down to Mendocino to see the filming.

That's great! The little summer cottage on the beach was on the logging road behind the Beachcomber, but up near Ten Mile. I used to ride my bike up on that road long before it was open and fish some of the creeks that flowed into the ocean, like Wages Creek and Virgin Creek. I also used to abalone pick on the rocks before school. We'd roll our pant legs up and pick them. Years later, after the road was opened up, I would hear that people had to snorkel for them if they wanted any. Couldn't believe it.

That is wild. Good times on the coast back in the day. A great place to roam free as a kid. Thanks. Maybe Noyo will chime in.

I biked on the beach once from FB up to ten mile and came back on the Highway. The old road is mostly washed out. I went at low tide and had to wade across ten mile. I dove for abalone before it closed. I am happy I got a chance to do that. My dad did it some in the 70’s. We used to go to buckhorn cove. I remember my parents drinking, smoking pot and eating abalone. That was probably fun for them.

In 1954 my parents started their 10 year annual lease of a multi-room cabin on the Ten Mile River, upstream from the bridge on the North side of the River, and just to the south of Ferestees’ House. My Great Aunt and Uncle rented a one room cabin on the Ten Mile River starting from the 1930s that was located just downstream from the bridge, also on the north side of the River, and also rented from the Ferestee brothers. In the mid-1960s we dropped our annual lease on the multi-room cabin, and took over the annual lease on the one room cabin from my Great Aunt and Uncle, at $25 per year. Both cabins were right on the River, had outhouses and ice (real ice) boxes. No electricity in the multi-room, so the one room cabin’s electricity was a luxury. Always had boats and a couple of Sea King (?) motors...to reverse the 1 1/2 horse outboard we simply spun the motor around, taking care not to get our clothing caught in the open starter spool...the separate starter ropes for the 1 1/2 and 5 horse were hand-wound then pulled.

We were fishing fools on the Ten Mile, and I also loved the Navarro River. We rarely fished the Noyo.

In the early 1960s my cousins moved to Point Arena which opened up the Garcia River with the Stornettas and Brush Creek with the Biaggis. A little father north were the Golettis. Not real sure that I have spelled these names correctly. I spent a few glorious summer weeks haying and milking cows with Mike Biagi on their ranch along Brush Creek. They had one of the Honda Trail bikes that we would ride out in the morning and the cows would know that it was time to start their walk back to the barn...the ice cold whole milk was glorious. This area was also great for our hunting adventures.

It is getting late back here in Fort Collins, Colorado. After it warms up tomorrow afternoon I will be fishing a Midge hatch on the Poudre River 4 minutes from my home...a rebuilt 1970s graphite Fisher 9’ 2-3 wt paired with an Orvis CFO III lined with a Masterline Chalkstream DT-3-F.

Best, Bob

Great story, Bob. Thanks for sharing.