Thread: Stream Ranger Seal-Dri Seamless Latex stocking foot chest waders were Number One.

Default Stream Ranger Seal-Dri Seamless Latex stocking foot chest waders were Number One.

Back in the 1970s Seal-Dri waders were one of the top choices for many fly fishers.

They came in two weights: #50 and thicker HD #100.

Stocking foot waders were far better for wading a stream than boot foot waders.

Pete Woolley, Fly Fishing Outfitters, and I would go together and buy 50 pairs each to get a special wholesale price.

Here is an article about Seal-Dri waders on Herb Burton's Trinity Fly Shop website:

https://trinityflyshop.com/blog/blas...new-old-goods/

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

My steelhead fishing buddy had a pair of those when we were on the Mad River back in the 1980's. Made my jealous.

I had Red Ball nylon waders stuffed in Converse high tops. The seams on the bootie feet were ridiculously fragile. Lots of duct tape and neoprene socks on the *inside* of the waders kept me in the game all morning, though. I really depended on the floor heating vents in my truck back in those days. There was numbness, followed by tingling, and then searing pain for about fifteen minutes on the way back to Arcata. I also used the same hightops and neoprene system for my first snowboard boots.

I'd gladly trade the relative physical comfort I now have in my (perpetually-leaky) Simms for the fish numbers I saw back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Back in the 1970s Seal-Dri waders were one of the top choices for many fly fishers.

They came in two weights: #50 and thicker HD #100.

Stocking foot waders were far better for wading a stream than boot foot waders.

Pete Woolley, Fly Fishing Outfitters, and I would go together and buy 50 pairs each to get a special wholesale price.

Here is an article about Seal-Dri waders on Herb Burton's Trinity Fly Shop website:

https://trinityflyshop.com/blog/blas...new-old-goods/

Wonderful product for the time...Bought my first pair from Andy Puyans-- the all leather boots with thick felt soles seemed to weigh about 20 lbs... but I was much younger so the weight did not bother. I wore 2 belts with the Seal Dri - around waist and around chest--- or you would float like a cork.....Also a PFD fishing vest.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 11-15-2020 at 02:05 PM.

Still have them, along with the "panty hose" to help stay a bit warmer, along with the boots. Now upgraded to inserts with boot straps on the foot to keep from "riding up"

The Smith under the Dr. Fine bridge (hwy 101) during the drought in the 70's forced me to leave and go north to Oregon in search of green waters. Well actually warmer waters with steel. The fish on the Smith refused to move as it was so very cold, probably 44 or so.

Well I guess I give the new year another last cast in January 2021 if the Ireland's are open and the Rouge is up and fresh.

gene

Quote Originally Posted by grnwtrs View Post
    Still have them, along with the "panty hose" to help stay a bit warmer, along with the boots. Now upgraded to inserts with boot straps on the foot to keep from "riding up"

The Smith under the Dr. Fine bridge (hwy 101) during the drought in the 70's forced me to leave and go north to Oregon in search of green waters. Well actually warmer waters with steel. The fish on the Smith refused to move as it was so very cold, probably 44 or so.

Well I guess I give the new year another last cast in January 2021 if the Ireland's are open and the Rouge is up and fresh.

gene
    Mike Kuczynski, founder and owner of the Eureka Fly Shop, told me the Smith river was not too good for fly fishing for Steelhead

because it was so clear most of the Winter.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........