Thread: November Stripers

Default November Stripers

I decided last week it was time to shake up my delta fishing strategy. I got out my striper rod, put on a chartreuse Clouser , found a new put in, went in the afternoon instead of the morning and pedaled the kayak in search of a spot that might have some stripers. I found a cut that had some current and decent depth so I drifted with the current and stripped the Clouser. Some stripers were around and grabbing. Nothing big but I am feeling like a 20" striper is a pretty fun fly rod fish. If you are boat fishing you can buzz around and hit a bunch of spots but in the kayak if you find a spot that is probably the spot for the day so you better fish it hard and hope nobody else shows up to jump your claim.

A 20 inch fish has become the new "fun size" or "all purpose fish and they are still a great fly rod fish. When I first started fly-fishing for stripers 20 years ago I would hear anglers talk about finding pods of 4 to 7lb fish in the past. The schoolies I always found were more like 3-5lbs with some bigger ones mixed in usually. I really miss those days now and I'm really hoping some bigger fish move in in November.
    I was out 3 days in a row last week and had enough action to have some hope for this year. Two years ago was actually pretty good but last year I lost my patience early and went bass fishing in the reservoirs. I've decided to have a better attitude this year and put some real effort into finding better fish.
    I'm also making a conscious effort not to run all over hell once I've located fish. Sometimes they just need a little time to start eating again. Several times last week I had to laugh at myself when I would put the trolling motor on 10 to rush over to feeding fish and then turn around and see them blowing up right where I was. I think the approach you take in your kayak will pay off more often than not. I truly believe that kayaks don't put fish down like a boat and if you're around them and boats don't show up you can whack em.
    Nice pictures as usual John. Hope to see lots more.

My experience is similar to yours. I never had a boat so I fished with guides 10 to 15 years ago and there was always talk of big fish. The expectation for a day was hope for a 10 pounder but some 3-5 pounders for sure and smaller ones were a nuisance. Seems like the new norm is smaller fish so I guess you make the most of it or stay home. I am trying to making the most of it and get on board with the 20 incher or the keeper as a lot of people like to call them.

The bass sure seem to have disappeared with the colder water. I got a bunch of small ones but nothing over 12 inches and I spent a little time on it. I do feel like I can sneak upon the bass in the kayak. Low profile and no noise.

It goes without saying, but I'll say it: Great Pictures!

The kayak is scaling with the fishery nicely. The grass is not greener with an expensive to operate power boat.

Looks like a fine day out- a fish like that will put a smile on my face for sure.

Ive never hooked a striper over 12 lbs on a fly, but perhaps someday- just seems the fishery in the delta has collapsed compared to my memories.