Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davis Lake

Default Davis Lake

Fished the lake yesterday. Launched at Camp 5 under the sounds of shotguns ringing all around the cove. The geese hunters ringed the lake out numbering the fishermen. Finally got across the lake near Lightning Tree. Only two ramps are open for boat launching, Honker Cove and Camp Five.

I tried throwing an intermediate line with a Jay Fair wiggle tail in rust. I missed a few strikes but did manage to bring in couple nice 17 inch plus fish. When the wind picked up a little I went midging with a blood midge in water around 12 feet deep around some sloping drop offs. My friend and I brought 10 to hand and lost two to break offs on two large fish and missed another 10 due to slow reactions or inattention

Spoke to two guys in kayaks who scoured the lake. They went from Lightning Tree to Cow Creek and they landed 8 between the two of them dragging JayÂ’s wiggle tail on sinking lines.

Lake Davis in the fall is a good bet. Love the scenery and the fishing pressure is very light.

Thanks for the good report.......

Some years back we had a friend, Tom Sharples, who went to Davis lake in October and really hammered them on buggers.

By the time we reacted and got there it was mid-November and it had cooled down a lot. Fishing was just spotty.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

How did the fish look, Healthy? I haven’t been there in a couple of years. Might have to give it a try. The American has been slow for steelhead and the Klamath hopefully will be better next month. Thanks for the report Quinn.

I think we might have another two weeks of hood fishing Bill as the temperatures seem to be slowly cooling but not yet cold.

The fish were very healthy. They fought crazy hard like wild fish. Some did exhibit one or three copepods on their bodies.

They are some scrappy bows. I think as it gets colder we will see less copepods. Thanks again for the information. Fish on!

Sounds like u guys did pretty good. need to figure that lake out. Frenchman should be good right now but still haven't gone. Been getting ready to fish pyramid next week.

I was waiting on your Frenchmen report Ok now you owe us a Pyramid report instead. Good luck out there. You going to float tube?

Yup. Unless it’s windy. We tube there most of the time even though we have the ladder/chairs. Gonna be getting cold,
    but so far wind doesn’t look like it will be a problem. Gonna fish next Sat thru Mon/Tues.

Quote Originally Posted by Quinnphoto View Post
    Fished the lake yesterday. Launched at Camp 5 under the sounds of shotguns ringing all around the cove. The geese hunters ringed the lake out numbering the fishermen. Finally got across the lake near Lightning Tree. Only two ramps are open for boat launching, Honker Cove and Camp Five.

I tried throwing an intermediate line with a Jay Fair wiggle tail in rust. I missed a few strikes but did manage to bring in couple nice 17 inch plus fish. When the wind picked up a little I went midging with a blood midge in water around 12 feet deep around some sloping drop offs. My friend and I brought 10 to hand and lost two to break offs on two large fish and missed another 10 due to slow reactions or inattention

Spoke to two guys in kayaks who scoured the lake. They went from Lightning Tree to Cow Creek and they landed 8 between the two of them dragging JayÂ’s wiggle tail on sinking lines.

Lake Davis in the fall is a good bet. Love the scenery and the fishing pressure is very light.
    Nice report Quinn, thank you! Jeff you thinking about hitting Davis?