Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Davis Lake

Yes I am Mark. Been doing any fishing?

Ok , you guys inspired me to hit it tomorrow haha! I’ll be taking my new pac 1000 pontoon along. Any tips on a starting place and flies by chance? Otherwise I’m going to wing it. I know long for a day trip but wife’s out of town and need to get out. Thanks, Jake.

Hi Jake

You can find fish in Cow Creek, Freeman and Lightning Tree areas which could produce some fish. Most recently I fished Lightning Tree. You can launch from shore as the ramp is high and dry. Remember it’s a full moon today so no guarantees on the catching. Try Jay Fair’s wiggle tails in burnt orange tied to a type 3 or intermediate line. The fish are caught around six feet deep nymphing but with blood midges they are being caught around twelve feet deep under an indicator.

I fished Davis 4-5 days in October and plan to hit the lake again later this week. I caught fish each time although no great numbers. Best day I hooked maybe 8-9 fish but didn't land a lot of them. I didn't try midges and mostly fished buggers (Rickards seal bugger in dark olive with burnt orange tail and hackle worked best for me, also tried rust and olive) and Sheep Creek type flies (including a sunken ant). Guys in my fly club have had luck fishing Jay Fair Trolling flies in rust. I fished mostly Jenkins, Camp 5, and Fairview areas. Fishing seemed to be best in the afternoon, particularly 3-5 PM, often in shallow water, maybe 2-5' off Jenkins. Guys were catching fish trolling buggers in the creek channel off Fairview where the water is 10-15'. Last time out this past week the water temp was 47 degrees early, warming to 50 by late afternoon. I'm hoping the relatively nice, warm weather will help the action this week. I've been thinking about trying Frenchman for a day too but have heard no reports; I might give it a try if Davis is slow this week. Thank for posting your reports on the lake and good luck out there.

Tom

Holy crap!!!Those fish are strong! I like many others don’t like full moons like Quinn said , but today was t so bad. Landed 6 and hooked just as many. Really short quick grabs. And small windows of opportunity it seemed
    I was only one at lightening tree until around noon. I started at 10 and didn’t hook up until 11ish. 2 others in pontoons joined me and said they fished Jenkins all morning for nothing. At 2 we started getting grabs then 10 or so minutes later they hit like gangbusters w double hookups and cast strip and get another one on. This went on for maybe half hour. Had so much fun and a beautiful day. Working 6 days for last few months I didn’t care if lake was dry I was going regardless. Thanks for all the info, be back next weekend...
    Jake

Can you tell me if the goose hunters are still out near the lake? Without going into detail, my fishing partner has some medical problems that would be aggravated by shotguns going off unexpectedly unless they were quite a distance away.

They seem to leave the lake after 10. They also seem to be on the west side so if you fish Lightning Tree the blasts aren’t quite as thundering.