Thread: Scotts Flat Reservoir

Default Scotts Flat Reservoir

Hello all,

Looking for any info on fishing Scott's Flat Reservoir. I used to camp there every summer as a kid growing up but had never fished it. I haven't been to the lake in several years and am thinking about making the trip with my float tube this fall. I know there is both Scott's Flat and Lower Scott's Flat. Has anyone fished either?

Thanks in advance!

Brad

Usually Spring and Fall is best in lower to mid-elevation lakes and reservoirs for fly fishers.

March/April/May and Oct/Nov when the bass are up shallow.

There are probably some trout that are deep all summer and shallow in the winter.

Scott's Flat Reservoir is 3,000 feet and 850 acres.

Dave Hudson, who is a top reservoir bass fly fisher, would use a fast sinking line, short leader and #8 black crystal bugger.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Juan View Post
    Hello all,

Looking for any info on fishing Scott's Flat Reservoir. I used to camp there every summer as a kid growing up but had never fished it. I haven't been to the lake in several years and am thinking about making the trip with my float tube this fall. I know there is both Scott's Flat and Lower Scott's Flat. Has anyone fished either?

Thanks in advance!

Brad
    Call Tom at Reel Anglers in Grass Valley 530.477.5397. Scott's is his home water and he can fish it backwards with his eyes closed and a beer in both hands. Drop by his shop and he'll put you into the flies and tell you where to go.
    Last edited by Ralph; 10-28-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Great info Ralph...........

http://reelanglersflyshop.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Tom is a GREAT resource.

I've fished both somewhat extensively. The big lake is better for smallmouth than trout if you're looking for quality fish. The trout tend to be snakes there as, according to DFW the feed in the lake is more baitfish that insects so the smaller trout are sometimes out of luck. You can fish near the damn, all along that shore, then around the corner from the launch into the creek.

Lower Scotts can be good this time of year for trout, both browns and rainbow, about 50/50. Limited parking there now, but really pretty. Better feed as it's more shallow near the launch, so the trout seem to be a little larger. Never have caught anything much over 16" though. Wiggletails are good there.

thanks for the tips fella's, I think I will give the lower lake a try here shortly!

Be sure to ask Tom at Reel Anglers about the road into the lower lake. It has been awhile since I was there; but it was steep and very rutted. Plus the rain may have turned it into muddy, slippery slope. Gold Digger may be a better road in, I'm not sure.

Default Lower scott's flat

I fish Lower scott's flat several times a year. Beautiful little lake that people visit to Kayak. I would advise 4WD, high clearance vehicle like a pickup or SUV as the road can be slick and rough on a regular sedan sometimes. Lots of medium sized browns. I get my best hits with a clear camo intermediate line, 5 weight rod. They seem to like the sheep's creek flies in olive or mint green micro chenile in the AM. Quick little strips towards risers like your fishing a darting wiggle nymph works best. I get a lot of hits in the shallow alcoves on the other side of the leak directly across from where you launch your tube. Hope this helps! Let us know how you do.
    Regards,
    Joe

Fishing is like hockey...ya gotta get it in the net!