Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Planning a trip to Dunsmuir, Upper Sac.

Thanks everyone. We spent a summer years ago fishing every weekend like homeless people. Hammocks on the side of the river and family size cans of ravioli cooked on the coals of the fire, which is obviously going to be a problem. We have always said fishing trips and camping trips are different trips. Camping is comfortable fishing is minimal and"roughing it". So that the girlfriend, now wife wasn't interested. We'll definitely look into the campground situation. Are there any issues with the aforementioned roughing it on the river plan? Other than no fires?

It totally depends on what you’re looking for from a camping/fishing trip. For me, fishing is very much about the whole experience: camping in wild, scenic, peaceful places adds so much to the experience that is often the deciding factor on where to go. From that perspective, I have generally favored other options in that part of the world over the upper Sac. From what it sounds like you are describing, there shouldn’t be much difficulty finding patches of dirt to crash for the night. Earplugs were a good recommendation.
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Many of my most memorable fishing trips were the ones where we were camping on a river or lake.

British Columbia camping on trout lakes with Chris Pasley and friends.....June/July

Steelhead - Dean river, BC - fly in camping with Joe shirshac, Mack Holoway, Jack Studevant and Christ Pasley.....August

Rainbow trout - Pit river at Deep Creek Campground 30 - 40 years ago with great friends.......low flows......Sept/Oct

Idaho/Montana camping/fishing trip with Don Rotsma, and Rick Jorgensen - mostly smooth moving water.

Float trip in Alaska out of Bristol Bay Lodge on the Alagnak river.

Float/camp trip on lower Deschutes river for Steelhead around Oct 1.

Camping with Mel Jeffs in Oregon and Nevada fishing lakes.

Sleeping in WeatherPort tents on the lower Tsiu river for Silver Salmon in Alaska.

Horse/mule pack trip out of Red's Meadow Pack Station in the high country in Mammoth, CA.

Everyone of these trips could be a magazine article.......

Camping in tents and sitting around a fire at night is so wonderful.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I think all dispersed camping is still banned and ban will be reviewed on Nov 15. See following link.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/stnf/...d=FSEPRD836687

Link to old online article that lists and describes access points to the river.

http://www.fishingtips101.com/favori...nto_river.html

Ear plugs will help with the trains, but most dispersed camping is so close to the tracks that the vibrations will probably wake you anyway. Cave Springs is a great alternative. Plus, you will run into other fishermen who may provide some good advice.

Good Luck,

Jim