Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Planning a trip to Dunsmuir, Upper Sac.

Default Planning a trip to Dunsmuir, Upper Sac.

My buddy is driving down and we're meeting up in Dunsmuir in a few weeks to hit the upper Sacramento river for a long weekend. I have only driven through the area on I 5. Are there any nearby spots we should check out? Preferably wooded areas as we'll be hammock camping...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    My buddy is driving down and we're meeting up in Dunsmuir in a few weeks to hit the upper Sacramento for a long weekend. I have only driven through the area on I 5. Are there any nearby spots we should check out? Preferably wooded areas as we'll be hammock camping...
    I am not sure if Castle Crags is open for camping now but if so, I would stay there. That said I would not be surprised if it is closed since state parks are clearly where all the CV19 infections are happening.

If it is not open, Sims might be, which would also be a good choice.

I think there are dispersed camping restrictions in the NF due to fire danger so read the regs, campground if open is probably the safe bet.

Fishing this time of year can be really good for bigger fish on the lower river (eg, Pollard Flat area). Euro nymphing is most consistent but also be on the lookout/prepared for rising fish...mayflies and october caddis...

There are many pulloffs on the side roads at each exit of the freeway where you can walk the train tracks and access the river, check out google maps before you go.

You could also go camp at AhDiNa (which appears to be open) for a night and fish the McCloud. I wouldn't attempt it without 4wd though as that road is a nightmare.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 10-28-2020 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I am not sure if Castle Crags is open for camping now but if so, I would stay there. That said I would not be surprised if it is closed since state parks are clearly where all the CV19 infections are happening.

I think there are dispersed camping restrictions in the NF due to fire danger so read the regs, campground if open is probably the safe bet.

Fishing this time of year can be really good for bigger fish on the lower river (eg, Pollard Flat area). Euro nymphing is most consistent but also be on the lookout/prepared for rising fish...mayflies and october caddis...

There are many pulloffs on the side roads at each exit of the freeway where you can walk the train tracks and access the river, check out google maps before you go.

You could also go camp at AhDiNa (which appears to be open) for a night and fish the McCloud. I wouldn't attempt it without 4wd though as that road is a nightmare.

This- let us know how you guys do!

I would get a cabin at Cave Springs for about $70/night for 2.

https://www.cavesprings.com/cabins

Then get help from Bob Grace at the famous old Ted Fay Fly Shop

http://www.tedfay.com/

Just called Cave Springs and Bob @ Ted Fay Fly Shop.

Bob said the McCloud river and Upper Sac were fishing better due to the good cooling.

Still some October Caddis flopping around too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I was in the area for about two weeks, two weeks ago. Castle Crags was closed, Sims was open. I'd say the higher upstream you fish on the river, the more likely you are to run into fish keyed on the October Caddis hatch.

Bob at Ted Fay has plenty of Oct Caddis nymphs and dries, though personal favorites are the Dirty Bird for nymphs/pupae and plain old Elk Hair Caddis in a large size with orange body. Many a fish ate both, and they are almost certain even more interested in them now.

One thing to note though is that there sure are a lot of people fishing the river this year; one spot which is a short walk from the parking to really good water, but is not an obvious access point, had cars cycling through all day for days on end, which was pretty new in my experience. This problem can be mitigated by walking the tracks for fifteen minutes, which is also an excellent time to drink a beer.

RE: the next river over, the road down doesn't require 4wd but I wouldn't mess with it if you don't at least have high clearance. The campground was full two Fridays ago, as were a couple of the rough camps, but that's leading into the weekend and might not be representative of weekdays. No fires sighted, which is good. Heavy caddis presence. Heavy.

Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post

Last edited by OctoberCaddis; 10-28-2020 at 01:16 PM.

Thanks for the great post.....OC.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

There are lots of places to find camping on and around the upper Sac, none are particularly enjoyable in my experiences. The trains and or freeway noise are major detractor for me in most. I’ve also experienced a higher than average amount of sketchy/sleezy “company” than other rivers I camp along. Maybe I have just had a few unlucky experiences? Ymmv?

Ah-di-nah campground is an enormously more pleasant camping experience, but the road is quite rough in parts and would be a long enough drive that I would not want to base there if fishing the upper Sac (ie not round trip). 4wd isn’t really the issue with the road, but clearance definitely is! Also good tires, and be sure you have a decent spare tire and the correct, matching tools to change said spare tire (don’t ask how I know). In fact, it’s a really good idea to have a few “extra” kinds of things (water, duct tape, zip ties, handy tools, etc) just in case sorts of things out there...just in case you run across other less prepared folks in a sticky situation (again, don’t ask how I know).
    Good luck, JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

I agree with Bill you will get a much better nights sleep at Cave Springs, those trains come through a couple times a night and are quite loud if you are camping. By the way the river is right behind the hotel/motel so just walk down the hill for access.

As for Ah-di-nah it is a great location but as it has been stated already ground clearance is key. Also tall sidewalls on your tires is best. if you have low profile radial tires like many cars do now today those sidewalls are thin and those rocks will slice them open pretty easily. Saw two guys in a mini-van last year get stuck because two of their tires had sidewall cuts in them. Really a bummer because you can't patch a sidewall cut.

If you are in doubt about your vehicle or it's tires then another alternative is to camp at Fowlers or Cattle Camp (if they are open), both are nice and have the upper McCloud nearby then drive down to the McCloud Dam to fish Ash Camp area either up or down or drive back over the hill to fish upper Sac around Dunsmuir.

Regards, Tim C.

I recommend you do what you propose, the upper Sac, and not bother with the McCloud, Ash Camp, and Ah Di Nah, which will have more fisherman and fewer strikes. As far as sleeping outside and train noise, bring warm clothes and ear plugs. Don't start a fire. Euro style nymphing pocket water works with tiny nymphs. Get a fishing map. Good Luck.
    Last edited by amoeba; 10-29-2020 at 12:11 AM.

Yes, Get a StreamTime map of the Upper Sacramento river for access info, even though it is dated.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958