Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I Love Stripers

Ocean - There is a spot metering setting. Most cameras have it. I don’t think phones have it. You have to spend some time messing around with the camera to get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Ocean - There is a spot metering setting. Most cameras have it. I don’t think phones have it. You have to spend some time messing around with the camera to get it figured out.
    Great insight. I first need to purchase said camera.... then mess with it, then...... hook a gullible fish As always, your photos are inspiring. Beautiful fish.

The Olympus TG is a great camera. Also water and shock proof. I can't tell you how many times I've dropped mine. I've been kicking around the idea on getting the new GoPro.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

I got a GoPro last year. I will say it is pretty handy for getting video but it is not a very good photo camera. It can’t handle variation in light and does not lock in and focus on your subject. A sunny afternoon landscape is okay but shadows or low light and it does not do well. I got much better fish shots with the Olympus so I stopped using it for photos. I need to do some video so I have a use for it. Maybe others get good photo results but I have not.

I might have to call one of the boys and set a date. Cabin fever has set in.
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

A buddy and I took our pontoons down the lower Deschutes yesterday. I had my DSLR in a SealLine waterproof bag, strapped to the back of my pontoon. We saw two groups of otters playing, porpoising, sitting on a rock munching on a fish,etc. Saw a nice golden eagle right along one of the lava buttes, and had some dramatic sunlight on a columnar basalt butte late in the day. Couldn't get pics of any of that because my camera was in the waterproof bag, zippered and bungied to the rack behind me. Got a couple nice fish photos but that's because we beached and had access to the camera (illegal to fish from the boat on that stretch). So I think I'm going to put a TG on my Christmas list for trips like this.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big redband over grass.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	16233

That's a size 6 golden stone in the fish's beak, just for scale. Love the colors on a native redband.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	big redband.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	16234
    Last edited by DLJeff; 10-30-2020 at 08:48 AM.

DL - Awesome fish. I wish the Deschutes was not 15 hours away. The DSLR gets some great shots but you do have to protect it. There is a trade off between a camera that is available all the time and a better camera that isn’t. So far I have kept my DSLR out of the water but I did break the polarizing filter getting out of the canoe once. I had it in a protective case and a dry bag but must have set it down too hard as I got out. I suppose I could have damaged the lens at the same time so I may have been lucky there.

Neither new or improved, but now in Redmond OR

Thanks John. Coming from you that's a true compliment.

I don't think the lower D is 15 hours from you (if you're in Davis). We drive to Benicia in 8 hours, including a stop in Weed or Shasta for lunch. So add another hour to the boat ramp and you're talking 9 - 10 hours.