Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Register an inflatable kayak with DWV??

Quote Originally Posted by Rossflyguy View Post
    Ok, for my drift boat I have to register both the trailer and the boat. I have to register the boat because I have an outboard on it. On top of the yearly registration I pay a property tax on this glorified row boat. A 1% property tax fee on a row boat based on the sold price when first purchased. Every year. Let that sink in.
    Yup. Pisses me off every year I pay up............ No matter if there is any water to place said boat in.

Kind of weirds a guy out. I can see paying taxes when you register your boat the first time but not every year. My sister lived in Redding and yearly freaked out at the price to get that little tag for her car. I suggested she establish a residence in South Dakota. Really cheap there! A lot of our full-time RV friends go to SD because it’s cheap.

On top of the yearly registration I pay a property tax on this glorified row boat. A 1% property tax fee on a row boat based on the sold price when first purchased. Every year. Let that sink in.
    Don't worry, the next ballot proposition will be to split roll guide rowboats from rank & file rowboats

I thought you need to register the boat if it’s gas powered? A trolling motor added to it requires registration? What else will California’s “progressive” government come up with to try and steal money from us!? I’m surprised there isn’t a tax for breathing air here yet.
    A good number of states in America require you to register a kayak or inflatable boat if it has a motor of any type. Some states require inflatable boats to be registered even if they have no motor. California is not the worse by any means.
    So long and thanks for all the fish!!!
    `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º>

My driftboat is a home built, wooden boat. I thought that it might be a good idea to rig it with an electric motor at one point and even bought a motor and a deep cycle battery. Then a friend told me that I needed to register the boat at the DMV, if it had a motor, even an electric one. First thing the DMV asked for when I inquired about registration was "No serial number or manufacturer? Do you have receipts for the materials so that we can figure out how much it is worth?". I didn't and wasn't about to get an appraisal. I saw where that was going and I decided that I'd just keep it oar powered and avoid the paperwork.

--Joe
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 11-05-2020 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post
    A good number of states in America require you to register a kayak or inflatable boat if it has a motor of any type. Some states require inflatable boats to be registered even if they have no motor. California is not the worse by any means.
    Yea I’d have to disagree with that statement. Include all the other taxes we pay in California. We’re the worst. If you actually sit down and do the math on all the taxes you pay in California, I mean ALL, you probably only receive 30% of your yearly salary. My boss moved to Colorado and told me to take a day and go through the taxes we’re charged in California. Reason he moved out of state. It took about a day to figure it out. It’s actually scary how much we give to this state. Made me really concerned about where my taxes are going while looking at the condition of this state.

If someone from out of state brings in a power boat to fish for a couple of days in California and then leaves Do they have to pay some sort of reg fee?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott V View Post

I am originally from California but now live in Missouri. Boats-this includes drift boats, rafts, canoes-without motors aren't registered, but if you put on a gas motor or electric trolling motor it must be registered and the youll pay personal property tax every year. My drift boat doesn't have a motor but the trailer is registered with a permanent plate that cost $35. Personal property tax is reasonable if you have old stuff. The trailer, 4 cars (1993-2004), and 3 motorcycles (1977-1994) is $105 a year. Annual registration is $15-35 for each vehicle. No registration fee for the trailer because of the permanent plate.
    Personal property tax on a new car can be over $1000 but is reduced quite a bit every year.