Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Register an inflatable kayak with DWV??

Default Register an inflatable kayak with DWV??

Hi,
    I added an electric motor to my Aire inflatable kayak. I need to register the kayak since I put an electric motor on it. I've had the kayak since 2000; so, I don't have the receipt nor does it have a HIN.

I filled out the DMV form for "application for registration number, certificate of ownership and certificate of number for undocumented vessel" and filled out "Application for duplicate title."

Is the only fee $15 for duplicate title or registration??

Is there anything else?

Thanks
    Mark

Are your positive the boat doesn’t have the HIN on one of the tubes? That would be the only one I’ve ever heard of that didn’t
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by markz View Post
    Hi,
    I added an electric motor to my Aire inflatable kayak. I need to register the kayak since I put an electric motor on it. I've had the kayak since 2000; so, I don't have the receipt nor does it have a HIN.

I filled out the DMV form for "application for registration number, certificate of ownership and certificate of number for undocumented vessel" and filled out "Application for duplicate title."

Is the only fee $15 for duplicate title or registration??

Is there anything else?

Thanks
    Mark

I thought you need to register the boat if it’s gas powered? A trolling motor added to it requires registration? What else will California’s “progressive” government come up with to try and steal money from us!? I’m surprised there isn’t a tax for breathing air here yet.

I’ll look again but maybe call Aire

Thanks

There should be no need for a license with an electric motor but there is in California.

Eugene borrowed my canoe and put an electric motor on the rear with a side mount on it and had to register it......sad.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Hi JasonB,
    You are right. There should be a HIN on the kayak. Aire contacted me with a response.

Thanks
    Mark

Before you get down to bad on California, Texas requires Titles on the boat, another on the motor and a third on the trailer!

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Before you get down to bad on California, Texas requires Titles on the boat, another on the motor and a third on the trailer!
    California already requires titles on the trailer and boat. Does Texas charge property tax every year on boats?

Not sure but I think there’s a yearly registration renewal on the boat & trailer. Not sure what the deal with the motor is other then it has a title. According to my wintertime neighbor he pays just over $100 for his rig. It’s an older New Wave with an older Yamaha 60 hp.

Quote Originally Posted by Idadon View Post
    Not sure but I think there’s a yearly registration renewal on the boat & trailer. Not sure what the deal with the motor is other then it has a title. According to my wintertime neighbor he pays just over $100 for his rig. It’s an older New Wave with an older Yamaha 60 hp.
    Ok, for my drift boat I have to register both the trailer and the boat. I have to register the boat because I have an outboard on it. On top of the yearly registration I pay a property tax on this glorified row boat. A 1% property tax fee on a row boat based on the sold price when first purchased. Every year. Let that sink in.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 11-01-2020 at 07:50 PM.