In fact I would guess that less than 10% make a good living.

I only have met a few who actually did very well in this industry.

Most of us are just "fish bums" because the main benefit is fishing all over the world with your successful customers.

Most shop owners, industry Reps, guides and shop staff are usually married to a gal with a "real job" with benefits.

Lots of fly shops are "mom and pop" businesses that probably produced one good salary.

People get into the industry because they love fly fishing and enjoy others who do to.

My dear friend Bob Giannoni asked me to help his young friend get started in his new fly shop in Eureka, CA.

This was maybe 30 years ago and was Mike Kuczynski who worked in the summer in Montana at Tom Webbs fly shop.

Mike was opening the new Eureka Fly Shop which turned out to be the top fly shop on the North Coast.

I gave Mike my standard basic advice on how to have a survivable fly shop and him being very talented and smart did very well.

After about a year Mike called me and asked me when would he start making money?

I chuckled and told Mike that after you pay all your bills and still have money for food you have made it.

Mike ran a great fly shop and guided the Klamath river and some others.

Mike wasa ble to get some of the locals and guide customers to go with him annually to Christmas Island.

Mike retired too and has one of those new Mercedes 4x4 diesel Sprinter vans.