Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lefty Kreh told me that Dorado are the most "suicidal" fish that swims.

Default Lefty Kreh told me that Dorado are the most "suicidal" fish that swims.

Take a look at this short video clip to see how insane and aggressive they can be.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbpm...ature=emb_logo

I think you can imagine how effective a fly would be.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That's true Bill,but they can also shut down very quickly!

We do the same thing with a fly without the point. They grab it and run a pretty good distance before they come unbuttoned. We've also had a few jump into the boat.
    Yes, it is true, they can go off the bite REAL quick
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Default all time greats

Bill, thank you for bringing up Lefty. He is one of my heroes. I read 2 of his books, while raising 3 children on a limited budget. Lefty taught me how to fly fish on a shoe string. He is in my top 3. And you are gaining ground, close to knocking Lefty out of the #3 spot, because of your evident respect for him. You are a humble man. Thank you for your info. I hope you last forever on this site

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Kiene semi-retired View Post
    Take a look at this short video clip to see how insane and aggressive they can be.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbpm...ature=emb_logo

I think you can imagine how effective a fly would be.
    Hey Bill,

Dorado get my vote for the most fun and being very aggressive, this year we had a ton of Roosters that would give the Dorado a run for their money when it comes to being aggressive

Carl Blackledge

Quote Originally Posted by Zepher View Post
    Bill, thank you for bringing up Lefty. He is one of my heroes. I read 2 of his books, while raising 3 children on a limited budget. Lefty taught me how to fly fish on a shoe string. He is in my top 3. And you are gaining ground, close to knocking Lefty out of the #3 spot, because of your evident respect for him. You are a humble man. Thank you for your info. I hope you last forever on this site
    Thanks Z......I bet number 1 is your dad or grandpa?

I read magazine articles by Lefty and his partner, Mark Sosin, when I was a teenage, maybe 60 years ago.

Later in life I actually had dinner with him and Les Eichorn after the big sporting goods shows.

Then finally I got to fish with him on Christmas Island.

He helped and inspired many to be fly fishers for life.

Please don't ever compare me to Lefty.......I love it but I just enjoy i positively impacting people's fly fishing experience.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Got 7 mahi last week, all good sized 10-25lbs, larger ones are showing up now. We use a charlie, small tuna dragged behind the boat. Well a huge mahi tried to eat the charlie. It took line and when we went to set the hook it tried to jump but spit the bait. It was the largest mahi I have seen, head was more than 3 feet across. My guess is 80-90lbs. We put another bait back and it took it again. We let it run even farther, set the hook and again it spit the bait. Third bait got munched by an oceanic white tip shark. Knew it wasn't a mahi when it didn't jump. That fish's head coming out of the water woke me up that night from a bad dream. Huge mahi! Going back this week. Mems.
    Don Memmer

Was in Loreto fishing with one of the Greatest Generation fly fishers. With our guide we were trolling and looking for Dorado.

My old buddy hook a big Dorado, guide estimated 70 pounds, it ran out almost all his backing in a heartbeat, jumping three big

marlin style jumps, breaking the line. It was shocking........
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

I know on tuna trips we hit paddies and if the dodos are there they usually bite. They can go completely bat $%& crazy, its a wild time!

Went back to the same spot on election day and got these four mahi on conventional gear. Saw the big mahi again, got it to take a bait 6 more times, but it would only make 100yrd runs and spit the bait. Put a trail hook on the small ahi and it grabbed it in the middle, felt the line and still spit the bait. This is one smart mahi. Had one of the other ones on and the school came behind the boat. I told my friend to toss a bait, but he was busy helping me gaff the one I had. I saw the monster swim by with his harem of chickens. Mahi was huge, pec fins as long as my arm. He just stared at me as he swam by. I think he was smiling. Mems.
    Don Memmer