Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truckee

Ok, one last question i think everyone wants to know....
    There is a fish in every primo run where there absolutely has to be a fish, right?
    How many times have you said "theres gotta be a fish in there"
    Such an enigma
    Last edited by Jeff F; 10-21-2020 at 03:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Ah interesting John. It was impressive watching him.

Eric
    Wasn't Brian. He just told me he is up on the Klamath right now

Eric,

Besides Revision, you have to stop at the Sasquatch in Verdi if you are fishing in Nevada. it is a great start to the ride home, and lots of good water in the near vicinity. Big juicy burgers and chicken wings as well.

Bob

Really good thread and hear what youre saying jeff. The truckee was the river my dad would usually take my brother and i fishing when we were kids, usually in the fall, still love fishing it but moreso in the spring now. Much more experienced people have offered better insight than i can but the only things i would add is that i generally do way better in the spring fishing it in high flows, in terms of numbers, but especially size of fish and also seems like less fishing pressure than fall. This year with covid seemed like more dudes than ive ever seen. I relate to your post because some days its great and others its really tough, despite good weather patterns etc.

Quote Originally Posted by yubaman View Post
    Eric,

Besides Revision, you have to stop at the Sasquatch in Verdi if you are fishing in Nevada. it is a great start to the ride home, and lots of good water in the near vicinity. Big juicy burgers and chicken wings as well.

Bob
    Thanks Bob, I'll put it on the list!

Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    Ok, one last question i think everyone wants to know....
    There is a fish in every primo run where there absolutely has to be a fish, right?
    How many times have you said "theres gotta be a fish in there"
    Such an enigma
    Jeff- If you REALLY want some self flagellation, put on a mask and snorkel. There are SO MANY fish in the river and SO FEW that you catch, you'll never leave the Truckee again without felling shitty for being such an inconsequential angler. There are scads of fish in even what we pass off as "not fishy" water. I cannot stress enough how important swimming with, and quietly observing, the fishes can be. No amount of fishing time will ever come close. I live to swim and observe, among many reasons, to become a better fly fisher. How many people have I seen doing likewise in the past 65 years? None. Zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Jeff- If you REALLY want some self flagellation, put on a mask and snorkel. There are SO MANY fish in the river and SO FEW that you catch, you'll never leave the Truckee again without felling shitty for being such an inconsequential angler. There are scads of fish in even what we pass off as "not fishy" water. I cannot stress enough how important swimming with, and quietly observing, the fishes can be. No amount of fishing time will ever come close. I live to swim and observe, among many reasons, to become a better fly fisher. How many people have I seen doing likewise in the past 65 years? None. Zero.
    I know a few who do. Probably helps explain why they were such successful anglers and high-demand guides.

Ralph told me 28 years ago to " swim it".
    I thought it was the river.
    I told Ralph, "there are no fish in the river.
    We say this whenever we aren't hooking fish...it's an inside joke.
    It means....we should fish better.
    Said many times..I would not be fishing here, let alone guiding, if it wasn't for his coaching.
    I try to coach the same way every day.
    Reality fishing......
    They are here if you want them, and are willing to raise your game....not just fish the same as usual...
    Thanks Ralph!

Thanks for the props...tight lines...

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-23-2020 at 07:41 PM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

Quote Originally Posted by bigfly View Post
    Ralph told me 28 years ago to " swim it".
    I thought it was the river.
    I told Ralph, "there are no fish in the river.
    We say this whenever we aren't hooking fish...it's an inside joke.
    It means....we should fish better.
    Said many times..I would not be fishing here, let alone guiding, if it wasn't for his coaching.
    I try to coach the same way every day.
    Reality fishing......
    They are here if you want them, and are willing to raise your game....not just fish the same as usual...
    Thanks Ralph!

Thanks for the props...tight lines...

Jim
    Thanks Jim-
    You are one of the cold water swimmers indeed. And it shows in the fish you catch and the clients you keep. If there were fishing guide trading cards like there are baseball trading cards, I'd bank a few dozen with your mug on them.

I think I am afraid to see how many fish are in runs that I fish . . . see how many fish I have drifted over countless times. That might cause me to give up fishing entirely! I have had some great days on the T, and gotten my ass kicked many more times. I find if I have had a multi-day beating on the Truckee, that the NF Yuba lifts my confidence once again and reminds me that I can fish a little. Usually a couple of beers in the evening assists me with that as well.

This thread will remind me to stop marching all along the river banks, and at least attempt to be somewhat stealthy when I am fishing.