Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Truckee

LOL!
    Ralph, you crack me up. Fishing oddball cards...west coast league.
    I actually swam the T last week. Wasn't to see fish though! Had a small kid wader lose a sz 7 boot (managed to get the kid back...) He suggested I might purchase just one boot to replace it......
    Anyway, I swam a tree bend hole and a stretch below it. No boot. But, I did find a bathtub I didn't know was there. I had hooked up there before, but didn't know why..? Swim it!
    Anyone find a sz7 boot let me know!!!

Yubaman, to me, the T tests fishers.
    It's the guys who won't quit trying that find fish here. I used to fish the LT to find relief or tease backcountry fish.
    I stopped running away....and got better.
    No secret to it......
    And, it's true what I was told 30 years ago when I first fished the T. If you can fish well here, you can fish well anywhere.

Jim
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-24-2020 at 05:02 PM.

I’ve got a Bigfly rookie card in my collection!��
    Thanks to both Jim and Ralph for the education.

Rich!
    Hang on to that one....gotta be worth a cup of coffee at least.
    Let's fish!!

Jim

Yep, I agree Jim. It's like any sport . . . you don't push or challenge yourself, you don't get better. The T is probably the most difficult river I can think of for sure, at least for the real fish in the river. It will tease you some days with a number of small fish. Generally, I like to throw streamers on the Truckee. Big, articulated Kelly Galloup streamers. I have had some heart stopping chases and landed a few very nice fish, but many days of bits of action and a sore arm at the end of the day.

It's ironic, we'll go fish the Big Hole, the Mo, the Blackfoot, Rock Creek and have great days on streamers, and all day long. Come home, go running back to the Truckee, thinking we have unlocked the Holy Grail back there, and the T invariably throws some reality right back at us. The hunt is part of what keeps us on the river. It has so many similarities to golf.

I'll be back out there soon enough.

When I guided in Idaho a few years ago,
    I found out why everyone goes to the Henry's fork...it was easy to find fish after fishing the T. I was homesick for abuse.
    It was like a put put golf coarse, compared to Pebble beach.
    Give shout when you do come up.....Been known to huck a streamer too.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by EricO View Post
    Thanks Bob, I'll put it on the list!

Eric
    I second recommendation for Sasquatch Inn. Locals swear by the fish and chips and the salmon sandwich.

Jm