Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Truckee

Thumbs up Truckee

After being humbled yet again this weekend, in both CA and NV, I think it would be interesting to hear thoughts on why these fish, with so much cold water, so many bugs and baitfish, and so much fishy water, are so damn befuddling.

Not whining, cuz we had a great time as always, nor looking for tips, fishing spots or flies. Just curious on some observations about why these particular fish are what they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff F View Post
    After being humbled yet again this weekend, in both CA and NV, i think it would be interesting to hear thoughts on why these fish, with so much cold water, so many bugs and baitfish, and so much fishy water, are so damn befuddling.

Not whining, cuz we had a great time as always, nor looking for tips, fishing spots or flies. Just curious on some observations about why these particular fish are what they are.
    That’s why they call it 'fishing' and not 'catching'.

Ya I figured that was coming. Just trying to have a conversation about what makes the Truckee so different than other rivers. So nevermind. Bill please delete this post.

I too am curious about why they are harder. I can get platitudes anywhere. i suspect it is mostly educated fish. I have a private pond I get to fish regularly; it's loaded with bass. After a winter where they don't see anyone, the fish bite great. I'm talking Feb/March,not April/May. By June they totally ignore whatever they liked earlier. And it's not just that they are located differently or focused on a different pattern or depth. They learn. I can switch to poppers and be good for a week; then they want something else. Even in Sept/Oct when they should turn on again, they are still wary of what I caught them on earlier. And I represent 75% of the total fishing pressure. On the Truckee; the pressure has tobe about 100 times as much.

Ya i figured that was coming. Just trying to have a conversation about what makes the Truckee so different than other rivers. So nevermind. Bill please delete this post.
    JEFF- your point is valid. There seem to be many more posts about having an "OK" day of the Truckee or being skunked that there are posts on spectacular results.

Jim

The Truckee gets a lot of fishing pressure, specially in the last few years. I think part of the success is locating the feeding fish which varies depending the time of the year and water temperature. Some techniques (euro nymphing) seem to be more successful than others. Look for sections of the river that don't get as much pressure because it involves more walking or difficult access. Fly patterns, size are the other part of the equations. Learning a river well takes time, perseverance, and determination but the rewards are worthy. Be willing to move location frequently and change fly patterns until you find the ones that work. Don't fall into a fishing routine. Location and fish diets change frequently.Get local advise from fishing guides, they have all the knowledge and secrets. I hope all of this helps you in your next fishing adventure.

Haven't posted for a while......
    Jeff, I wanted to respond because you deserve more than, "that's fishin..."
    Most fishers that say that kind of thing depend on fishing luck......I don't think luck has anything to do with fishing.
    Getting to fish on the T is a study in frustration. A good start is asking your question.
    I started watching other fishers......for 30 years....
    Many, if not all fishers, fish the way they do on their home waters. Why we think we can get away with that, I do not know.
    Normal human behavior probably.
    This was the worst year for pressure I have seen. It started in Feb. when the resorts closed. The first wave was locals, the second wave all the refugees from the bay area. The third wave, summer time vacationers.
    Many locals actually know how to fish here, so they stung a bunch of fish early on.
    Most people think fish are dumb, those folks have an especially hard time here.
    Once you see how poorly we all fish, you can embrace change.
    I have rules to fish, taught to me by the T......
    Rule #1. Don't let them know you are coming. Most folks walk around like fish can't see.....I have seen fish spook at 40 yards..be sneaky. Wave your rod around a bunch, and it's a ghosttown...
    #2. Fish on the fishes schedule not yours.
    Highnoon is good in winter, but not in summer. Blue skies are harder than clouds.
    #3. Fish what's on the menu...forget your "lucky fly". Get a bug seine and use it.
    Remember the fish have seen all the flies sold locally.....
    #3. Get a perfect drift...the 1st try.
    Two hundred shitty drifts don't help your odds. Fish less to catch more.
    #4. If done correctly, fish will bite, so don't be surprised and have a plan!
    #5. Walk a ways from the car....
    #6. Deliver the pizza....give them what they want, when, and where, they want it.
    We nymph mostly, but have a dry set-up always at the ready..but, I let them tell me which approach is best.
    I never just walk water thinking I know...
    I go see.
    #7. More weight......
    #8. Longer leader....
    #9. Different equitment....
    #10. Learn to fish bigger flows...

I could go on....but if anyone needs help to raise their game, give a shout.
    Don't fish like the other guy is a good start
    to learning the Tuffy. The fish are here when you are ready. And, they know you're coming.....

Advice edit....don't listen to those who give you tips, who don't actually hook up here. They ARE that other guy.
    Guys that can hook-up at will, are the ones to draft on......

Jim
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1593.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	16197  
    Last edited by bigfly; 10-20-2020 at 11:13 AM.
    Bigfly guide service helping fly fishers since 2002.
    Truckee river and Northern California waters.
    https://bigflyguideservice.wordpress.com//

For best results, fish on the fish's schedule, not yours....

BF

I don't think the Truckee fish are any wiser per se or necessarily pickier. Most of the guys I know that do well- it seems like it is two statistics: Time on the water and weight. Re time on the water- that's not intended to be flip. The hatches that move the river's fish around or pique their curiousity are usually sparse, fleeting and a right place, right time thing. Re the weight, I think the difference between the people that get decent success is that with the tricky currents and wired slots, they get their flies to the fish more effectively. Lastly a fish biologist guy I know, recently retired from CA DFW , also told me the Truckee is a tough existence for fish and there just isn't a ton of biomass down there. Seems like a good day on the Truckee vs, say the Yellowstone is 4 fish vs 25...
    My $.02 as a guy that lives near the river but doesn't fish it that much but has some pals that do!

Ya I figured that was coming. Just trying to have a conversation about what makes the Truckee so different than other rivers. So nevermind. Bill please delete this post.
    Jeff, I fished the Truckee river off and on for almost 50 years, that said I never got very good at it either.

Over 50 years in the tackle business I talked with thousands about the Truckee river too.

Some who will admit it say it is not an easy river to be successful on.

Techniques have improved in the last decade or two with "right angle indicator nymphing" and improved streamer techniques.

When I started fishing it most used attractor dry flies, classic wet flies and classic old streamers because 50 years ago there were very

few nymphs to buy.

I think the problem with the Truckee River is the fact that there is way too much food in there.

Crayfish, minnow/small fish, aquatic insects, terrestrials, mice, frogs......?
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

That's what i was getting at. Thanks to all. Can't tell you how many times we've tried to figure out these fish over beers in Reno or on the drive home.

I dig Jim's comment on making the 1st drift count. Great advice