Thread: Great Day on the River with Bruce Porter

Default Great Day on the River with Bruce Porter

Not sure if this is the right place to post this or not...

I am 15 and new to fly fishing. I recently PM'd Bill Kiene's shop asking for some fishing advice and he referred me to Bruce Porter, a long-time Sacramento & Klamath-area angler and fly fisherman. Bruce took me and my dad (who sadly doesn't fish!) out to the AR for over 4 hrs of 1-on-1 1/2 pounder fishing tutoring and work. Bruce spent his whole morning helping me with casting, moving, site selection, and general understanding of the ins & outs of steelhead fishing. He was super patient and clearly knew what he was talking about. I had a great time and learned a TON. My dad (who hung out with us) was super impressed as well.

Bruce is starting his own guide service and I (and my dad) would happily recommend him to anyone interested in improving their fishing knowledge and skills. He clearly knows his game, is passionate about it, and loves to share it (even with a teenager!). His email is brucetporter17@aol.com. (He knows that I am planning to post this...)

NK

Good on Ya Nate. Welcome to the world of steelhead! They are a special creature so always treat them with respect. There is a plethora of information in this board about all things steel. I know it helped me with my learning curve. Taking a lesson here and there and fishing with guides will also shorten the learning curve. Best of luck to you and please be a voice for these fish and all wild salmonids and their habitats!!

Starting with nightcrawler worms and spinning rod, I started fishing the American river at Watt and Howe avenues accesses.

It was 60 years ago and back then there was no access at Howe so we actually drove into the Watt access and drove down

to Howe on a gravel road inside the levee. I guess I must have taught myself how to dead drift night crawlers.

Hal Janssen and Al Perryman got me going with the Half-pounders which were in much greater numbers 50 years ago.

We are always looked for generous veteran anglers like Bruce Porter to take new people wading in the Fall and Spring for

Half-pounders, even if only an hour or two of directions. That little bit of help can make someone into a Steelhead fly angler.

Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........