Thread: Fish Were Caught

Default Fish Were Caught

Fish were caught is one of my favorite ways to describe the fishing day. It means I could dig around and come up with a complaint about the day but I am not going to because I am happy with the day because fish were caught. The fish may have been a little small, it may have rained, it may have been hot, there may have been mosquitoes, there may have been dudes crowding me on the water or I may have farmed a beast but that's okay because fish were caught.

Last week I was on the schedule to go out on the ling cod boat but it was too rough to get across the bar so fish were not caught. If we had gotten across the bar we would have been rocking and rolling and may have wished we had not gotten out anyway. Later in the week I did some river fishing and fish were caught - chinook and coho on the fly rod. If you want a fish that pulls hard get a 20 pound Chinook on the line.

I have been thinking about going to Rio Vista for bass for a month or two and finally did it this morning. I put my kayak in at the Ryer Island ferry landing which is an easy put in and with the ferry there it is a secure place to park. I fished top water for an hour and a half and did a loop that brought me back to the put in and caught no fish. Skunkola. I was ready to get out and go home but I decided to switch to the minnow and press on. I fished another hour and a half and caught fish steadily on the minnow fly. I would say the summer morning top water bite is over. It is minnow flies for me from now on.

Not very impressive bass but fish were caught.

Inspiring as usually John

Trying to get my new old boat going before the snow flies.................

Taking it up to Sutter Marine tomorrow for the install of a Yamaha 50hp 4 stroke motor.

Going to Florida December 8, 2020 for about 5 month......LMB will be wild in the new Felsmere Lake.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Nice shots John ! Have to try fishing the Delta sometime.

Where I usually fish for warmwater species burned in the latest round of fires, and most likely won't be open any sooner than springtime. I usually head for the biggest lake there in November, and by then it is all streamers all the time.

So much has burned. There is a ridge near Berryessa that has burned three times in my years living here. The brush comes back fast but the big oaks and gray pines won’t return in my lifetime. I like the Delta so far but you do need some kind of watercraft to get around.

I would be happy to keep an eye on that boat for you while you are out of town.
    Last edited by John H; 10-14-2020 at 08:47 PM.

Enjoy all of your photos John. You seem to always catch quality fish in the Delta which is not a given anymore.

MT - I am glad you like the photos. I know you are into bass so all the better. I just got into the Delta fishing this year. I like it. Close to home and lots of water although you don’t need that much in a kayak or a canoe. You just need some good water with nobody on it. I usually get something decent but I sometimes cover a lot of water to get it.