Fish were caught is one of my favorite ways to describe the fishing day. It means I could dig around and come up with a complaint about the day but I am not going to because I am happy with the day because fish were caught. The fish may have been a little small, it may have rained, it may have been hot, there may have been mosquitoes, there may have been dudes crowding me on the water or I may have farmed a beast but that's okay because fish were caught.

Last week I was on the schedule to go out on the ling cod boat but it was too rough to get across the bar so fish were not caught. If we had gotten across the bar we would have been rocking and rolling and may have wished we had not gotten out anyway. Later in the week I did some river fishing and fish were caught - chinook and coho on the fly rod. If you want a fish that pulls hard get a 20 pound Chinook on the line.

I have been thinking about going to Rio Vista for bass for a month or two and finally did it this morning. I put my kayak in at the Ryer Island ferry landing which is an easy put in and with the ferry there it is a secure place to park. I fished top water for an hour and a half and did a loop that brought me back to the put in and caught no fish. Skunkola. I was ready to get out and go home but I decided to switch to the minnow and press on. I fished another hour and a half and caught fish steadily on the minnow fly. I would say the summer morning top water bite is over. It is minnow flies for me from now on.

Not very impressive bass but fish were caught.