Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Upper Sac experience w/outboards

Default Upper Sac experience w/outboards

Was planning on fishing the upper Sac between Bend boat ramp and River View drive boat ramp. I have floated this on my pontoon before with no issues but, my son and sister in-law want to go and they have no experience floating a river.

So I thought I would put one of the Mac's river runner Skeg/prop protectors on my outboard and take them out in that. I would still bring a couple of spare props and an auxiliary motor but if anyone has experience with running an outboard in that stretch of river I would appreciate any advice.

Plan would be similar to floating on the pontoon, cast in the slow water from the boat then where possible pull up on the shore and wade cast a stretch.

Only run the boat at low speeds enough to beat the current, keep an eye out for logs, rocks, etc... just read the water for submerged objects and take my time.

Regards,
    Tim C.

I wouldn't do it. Especially with 3 people in the boat. Something's going to get torn up.

What kinda boat are you trying to float in?

Well I have a choice for outboards but it's between a 17' 48" wide square stern canoe (setup with oars for drifting), an Olympian Pram or a 71 17' Boston Whaler that is setup to run in shallow water. Otherwise we can use kayaks or pontoon boats. But as I said neither my son or sister In law has navigated a river before. So I would have to be a instructor about reading the currents etc.. if I left them to their own devices. I guess I could take them on their own without fishing a couple of times but figured explaining how to navigate while all on the same boat is easier. or I could add another boat to the fleet...Honey, I need to by another boat you okay with that?
    Last edited by tcorfey; 10-09-2020 at 11:48 AM.

in reviewing the river again this time via google it seems the worst spot is the lava field south of the Perry riffle and the gravel bars near Edgewater/water treatment plant. The rest seems to be a mix of classic shallow channels bordered by shallow gravel bars and a few dead heads here and there. Did not remember nor do I see any sections with boulders and classic rapids in it except maybe the lava fields.

Maybe I will float it again by myself, take some depth measurements and make some mental notes with a slant towards motoring it later. Just thought some may have done it before, as not everyone has a jet boat and I could get some advise on areas I might have over looked.

I run this stretch of river in my small jet boat and I would not do it in a prop boat at present flows. Not saying it can't be done, but it isn't a good idea.

I live in the Bend, never heard of the River View ramp. Where is it?
    Last edited by Peter S; 10-09-2020 at 02:52 PM.

Off Riverview Drive in Cottonwood. May go by another name but that is where it is located. I should have said between Edgewater Drive and the water treatment plant there are lots of gravel bars.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    Off Riverview Drive in Cottonwood. May go by another name but that is where it is located. I should have said between Edgewater Drive and the water treatment plant there are lots of gravel bars.
    Ok, isn't that behind the gated entry to Lake California? That would be a very long float from there to Bend with these shorter days. The float from there to Balls Ferry or Balls to Jelly's or Jelly's to Bend would be easier and don't require a lot of technical skills but it is moving water and there are some obstacles. Anyone attempting this should have good basic rowing skills.

Yes you are correct. That' why I am hesitant to cut them loose on their own boat. Yes, if I float it will be in sections not the whole distance in one day. Maybe I will focus on Jelly's to Bend. In there I am mostly concerned with rocks in the mile stretch below Perry Riffle and above Bass pond.

River is dropping but if you stay in the main flow you clear the rocks in that stretch. There is a shallow fast section below Massacre Flat that requires attention. Its short but you will have to avoid some rocks through that section.