Thread: Wild Times in Alpine County

Default Wild Times in Alpine County

I was traveling from A to B along Hwy. 4 this weekend and had a few minutes to cast a fly in a creek near the highway.

The water level was really low and slow so I didn't expect much. I walked along the ridge above the creek and saw a good sized fish in one of the pools below. Maybe 12-13 inches! It was a much bigger fish than I ever expected to see in such small water and so high up in elevation.

I went downstream a ways then fished several pools back up towards the pool where I saw the big fish. Keeping low and staying behind some bushes I saw that the big guy was no longer cruising the pool. This made it safe for several smaller fish to come out and do laps.

I was fishing with my Tenkara rod so I was able to delicately and accurately place a fly in the strategic spots of the pool. Surprisingly, the fish weren't super eager to hit whatever food-like substance that came floating into view. After the 5th or 6th cast I finally got the interest of one of the little guys.

Here he is!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wildbrook.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	684.5 KB 
ID:	16157
    An absolute beaut of a wild trout. About 5.5in-6in.

With the water level being so low the fish were really spooky. I let the pool rest for another 15 minutes but they wouldn't come out from under their shelter. They might take a cautionary look but then quickly shoot back under their rock. I saw some more brookies downstream doing the spawning dance in the gravel. Best to not pester them. I had to get back to driving anyway.
    “Behind mountains, more mountains.” - Haitian proverb

Nice report there loose_shoes.

I'm headed up that direction tomorrow myself.

No Tenkara for me, I'll be using my two-hander(s) at a lake.

I tied up a 1/2 dozen mini-balanced leeches and a dozen #12 midges to try and tempt some brookies and danged cutthroats.

Well see how that goes.

Once again, thanks for your report.

Bob