Thread: Yuba float question

Default Yuba float question

Just bought an old aluminum drift boat with my brother, we were hoping to float the Yuba Sunday from Hwy 20 Bridge to Sycamore. I've done this float in my pontoon a few times, but always carried it below the rapid at the bridge. Anyone know if you can launch a drift boat from a trailer further down one of those gravel roads? My concern is putting in right at the sketchy spot and screwing up my new boat. Other than a wilderness float in Alaska we did a few weeks ago in drift boats, have only rowed inflatables. Guessing it'll be smoky out there this weekend but can't be any worse than where we’re at in western sonoma county. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Just bought an old aluminum drift boat with my brother, we were hoping to float the yuba sunday from hwy 20 bridge to sycamore. Ive done this float in my pontoon a few times, but always carried it below the rapid at the bridge. Anyone know if you can launch a drift boat from a trailer further down one of those gravel roads? My concern is putting in right at the sketchy spot and screwing up my new boat. Other than a wilderness float in Alaska we did a few weeks ago in drift boats, have only rowed inflatables. Guessing itll be smoky out there this weekend but cant be any worse than where we’re at in western sonoma co. Thanks
    Never launched below the bridge. Just launch at the bridge and hug the left side. You should be fine.

Ross is right. Just launch at the bridge and stay left of that first hole and you should be fine. Keep the boat straight, if you do happen to get right. Or, you could line/walk the boat around that first riffle and then get some practice in.

If you're really worried about it, you could put in here, 39.221165, -121.351992, but there is another hazard at 39.222387, -121.352561 just below that put in. It requires a modest move to the left.

It has been smoky today and it doesn't look like it's getting any better soon.

Ok, thanks guys, guess it's not as bad as I remember it.

I disagree with the other responders. At the current lower flow the rock that creates the big hole is out of the water but there is a river wide ledge. I'm a good kayaker-I ran it last week and it could definitely mess you up if you dont have whitewater experience.
    The good news is you can drive right below the rapid to put -in . I've done that in my jeep Cherokee. You can park right by the river.
    If you decide to run it anyway rig for a flip-everything tied in-because it could happen. And wear life jackets.
    "I never saw a fish I didn't want to catch"

Yep it was actually kind of sketchy at these flows, with our rowing ability and considering the fact that it was our first float with a 1969 aluminum drift boat. After avoiding the rock, almost seemed like water was going to come into the bow going over the waves but we were fine. Im probably just overly cautious about whitewater. My brother rowed it and did great, fortunately the bot rows really well. Think its an old wooldridge boat though the name was spelled wrong on the title? Had a great float, yuba fished very well, had fun swinging soft hackles when we got out of the boat. Brian clemens if you read this, good running into you, met you 8 years or so ago on putah i think it was. Thanks guys for your help.
    Last edited by Jcolin; 10-06-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcolin View Post
    Yep it was actually kind of sketchy at these flows, with our rowing ability and considering the fact that it was our first float with a 1969 aluminum drift boat. After avoiding the rock, almost seemed like water was going to come into the bow going over the waves but we were fine. Im probably just overly cautious about whitewater. My brother rowed it and did great, fortunately the bot rows really well. Think its an old wooldridge boat though the name was spelled wrong on the title? Had a great float, yuba fished very well, had fun swinging soft hackles when we got out of the boat. Brian clemens if you read this, good running into you, met you 8 years or so ago on putah i think it was. Thanks guys for your help.
    Sweet! Drift boats can handle a lot of rough water with ease. As long as you don’t panic and row away from objects you don’t wanna hit you’ll be golden. There’s no “whitewater” on the yuba that should be too worrisome even for novice rowers. It’s one of the easiest rivers to learn how to row a drift boat. But safety is always priority.

I'm glad that you did well. It always pays to scout rapids and be prepared to walk and line them. Flipping an aluminum driftboat is not a pleasant option, they don't have positive flotation and they will sink. Better to line the rapid, if you aren't 90% confident that you can run it. (There's always at least a 10% chance that things won't go right no matter what). Knowing how and when to "high side" in a hole or before you get pinned on a rock is also a key skill to learn.

Water over the bow is always possible when you run big waves or holes. I generally bring three types of bailing tools: A large sponge, a quart size yogurt cup and a plastic bucket. The sponge sees the most use but the bucket comes into play occasionally too. A boat half full of water is hard to move.
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 10-07-2020 at 11:01 AM.

I wish I had this thread to read back in July - I floated down this river back in July in my SeaEagle Packfish7 - I almost fell out in that rapid, but I hit the rapid at the right angle - I can't wait to try this river again in November - Tight Lines my friends & I hope to see you all on the River with the Biggest Fish Tales!!!