Thread: Be good at one thing, or modest at several?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Be good at one thing, or modest at several?

It seems that every few years I go through an internal struggle of whether I am trying to do too much...be it in life, relationships, work, fly fishing, etc.

After spending quite a bit of time in Idaho this summer and appreciating the simplicity and beauty of modest sized wild cutties on dries, only finally tying on a dry/dropper on Sunday for the first time all summer, I am wondering if I try to do to much...and should just focus on a couple things...

Valley trout and steelhead, the Truckee area, Trinity, occasional coastal steelhead, Upper Sac and McCloud, now exploring Idaho and Wyoming...while it is refreshing to be able to fish a new place "every river day", you lose out on the intimacy and relationship you build with a body/bodies of water.

It is also easy to become quickly overwhelmed and difficult to decide what to do/where to do. I still have never fished Hat Creek, Pit River, Carson, Owens, or completed the California heritage trout challenge. It's embarrasing to say I have not visited the NFYR, Pyramid Lake, or Lake Davis in the last 3 seasons, but it just adds to the "stress" of feeling stretched too thin.

Maybe it is time to refocus. I am not spread nearly as thin as some of you guys as I do not fish warm water or saltwater at all.

Happy hour musings...for what they're worth.
    Last edited by PV_Premier; 09-22-2020 at 05:25 PM.