Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Be good at one thing, or modest at several?

I grew up on the East Coast (New England) and fished for all kinds of species there both fresh and salt water. Moved to CA and have done the same from the sea to the mountains, some places are are worth going back to and some are not. Some places it's a timing thing but, getting out in nature is the best part. The only down fall I see to fishing multiple species, in multiple habitats is how many different rods, reels, lines, flys, boats, motors, waders, nets, you acquire. My wife thinks I am starting a sporting goods store.

To answer Bill's question I do not hit those 3 places a lot but, probably spend a total of a week or two at each location every year for the last 3 decades. The only thing I do not like about the upper sac is the trains and the newer no trespassing signs. They both get annoying sometimes so I spend less time there the last few years. McCloud and Pit are a lot quieter. A man can hear himself think in those places. Luckily even though I am in my sixties I can still get around and into the tougher places to fish. That is usually rewarding in terms of fish caught.

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    The only down fall I see to fishing multiple species, in multiple habitats is how many different rods, reels, lines, flys, boats, motors, waders, nets, you acquire. My wife thinks I am starting a sporting goods store.
    Maybe this is also part of the downside I see in the building complexity or fishing in a lot of different places. Too much crap laying around and some rods don't get fished for seasons on end. I think I fished my 1wt this year for the first time in two seasons. I have not touched my 8wt since I got back from Canada last summer, and have spools with lake lines on them that never get used.

I will have to do some soul searching this winter and pay attention to where/how I end up fishing. I am starting to think it is time to realign priorities and streamline junk once again.