Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frank Pisciotta

Default Frank Pisciotta

Da Dean passed away this morning after a bout with cancer. His hard charging enthusiasm and spirit will be missed. RIP Franky.
    Last edited by Ralph; 09-19-2020 at 08:29 AM.

Sadly, at our age (Baby Boomers) we are loosing some of our good friends now.

As most know Frank had a wonderful life with more good fishing and more good friends than most.

Thanks Ralph.....
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

RIP Franky. Raising a toast to you bud.
    Respectfully, Ken
    Love the challenge...What try? No try. Just do!

Such a bummer. I loved Frank's enthusiasm and passion. We hooked up in January and caught up, spending a day fishing on the private water area of the Yuba, and finishing up with a couple of drinks at the Lodge in TD. It was great getting caught up with him. He lived a couple of blocks from our house in TD, and I was going to call him last weekend when we were up, but did not get it done. I think this was probably a blessing in disguise. I had no idea that he was battling any physical ailments. I understand that he was diagnosed only 3 weeks ago. Hopefully this avoided the long and painful slide that some cancer battles can be.

Frank put in many hours supporting local fishing causes. As we all know, he was very passionate with all he believed in. I will miss Frank and have many chuckles and smiles on my face from our time spent together.

Bob

I only met Frank twice and both times all he did for me is get me on the best water at the best time!

He turned me on to a piece in his "neighborhood" that I go back to whenever I can and I have always said a little "Thank You Frank" when there.

True lover of the sport and those that support it.

Rest In Peace Frank.

Frank was the first guide I ever used 20 years ago on the Little Truckee. He introduced me and my dad to a love of fly fishing. Last year I bumped into Frank on the LT and he remembered me from fishing shows and asked me to join him fishing. His enthusiasm will be missed. Thank you Frank for making my life better. Ray

Default Frankie Flav

I wrote this for the Tahoe Truckee Fly Fishers October newsletter which was dedicated to Frank. I could go on and on with the most hilarious stories about uncle Frankie, but this should suffice.

Frank and my father first worked together proposing fishing regulations and conservation issues on the Little Truckee River in the 70’s. I had heard of Frank through my father as being the best guide in the Truckee area during the late 80’s, but it was not until the early 90’s when I finally met him in person at the Northern California Council’s FFF Conclave. We went fishing soon after in the Grand Canyon of the Truckee river and my tight line nymphing game was very strong at the time. After our session, he said “Jon, please let me know where and when if you fish the Truckee River in the future, if I take a client in where you’ve been, we’re screwed.”

When I opened up my guide service in 1996, Frank went out of his way to not only help me, but also to eliminate all the guess work involved as it was my first venture into the guiding world. He explained the Forest Service permitting application, and I marched into the Beckwourth Ranger Station of Plumas National Forest soon after to apply. They had never heard of a special use permit for fishing guides before. I quickly enlightened them giving the pertinent information, and an education that I learned from “Da Dean of Guides”. After the meeting, the District Ranger John Haven asked “Where did you learn this from?” I simply said “Frank R Picsiotta of Thy Rod & Staff Guide Service”.

A few years ago Frank and I fished the Little Truckee inlet at Stampede reservoir using his drift boat with the new Yamaha 4hp motor. It took a lengthy 42 minutes to reach our destination, and when finally there we put an ass beating to those trout with big numbers recorded. Near the end of the day Frank wanted to row the boat around and practice. I was rigging my rod and noticed that after Frank had been paddling for a few minutes, we were going nowhere but in circles. The anchor had not been pulled up. I continued to pretend rigging, but all the while was taking in the situation and doing everything I could do not to bust out in laughter. “Man, I suck at rowing!” exclaimed Frank. I let him torture himself for another 5 minutes before saying “Hey Frank, pull the anchor up, it makes it much easier to maneuver around and row”. Back at the boat ramp I asked for his car key since backing up a trailer was not a skill Frank possessed, or even wanted to try. He couldn’t find the key. He searched high and low, through gear bags, and his shirt and pants pockets with nothing to show. He was now panicking. I happened to look around his neck and there on a cord were the keys hanging below. “Frank, what’s around your neck?”… We both erupted in laughter as sweat continued to pour off his brow.

Frank was a very giving man who went out of his way for you and others, but if you dissed him, or screwed him over, he would never forget – He had a memory like an elephant most of the time. I cherish my time spent with Frank, mostly the educational part of fly fishing and life. He was undoubtedly the most hilarious man I’ve ever met, like a real time cartoon character. We would often spend hours on a favorite subject of his, “Guide Gossip”, or “GG” as he would say. Anytime I would call him the first words from his mouth would be “Any GG?” He loved it, and if the topic was a violation from another guide or permit holder in regards to the Special Use Permits on USFS land, he would take notes and enter them into his computer files. That must be one hell of a file with endless folders and documents. We were lucky to have such a gem in our lives and the fly fishing community – He will be greatly missed, but ever forgotten. -J.
    "I fish, I write, I travel, and I'm hungry for more!"
    http://jonbaiocchiflyfishingnews.blogspot.com/

http://www.baiocchistroutfitters.com/
    The premier fly fishing guide service for the northern sierra.

Lovely Jon,

Now your dad and Frank can look down on you together.

I keep looking for an obituary for Frank but this is way better.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

So a few years back, I take a couple of friends who I am trying to get into fly fishing, up to Truckee for one of Frank's 3 day fly fishing boot camps. The three of us get up to our place, and decide to go down to Bar of America for a few beers and dinner (back before the beers at B of A hit $15 apiece of course). We sit down at the bar, and who happens to be in the stool next to us, but Frank! I introduce him to my friends. We have a couple of beers and Frank is talking it up with his clients for the next 3 days. We go ahead and order dinner at the bar.

At this point, Frank decides, "Hey, let's get a head start and go through some things right now?!" SO Frank runs off to his Trooper to grab some tippet. As he is at his car, dinner comes out to the bar. Frank returns, the 3 of us are beginning to dig into dinner, and Frank begins unreeling some tippet on the bar and cutting it into 2" sections. He decides it's a good time to begin going through some basic knots with the boys . . . in the middle of dinner??? One of the guys has some pasta in a red meat sauce. SO Frank is going through these knots, the tippet is sliding back and forth through everyone's dinner, and before long, there is just a mess all over the bar. I think it is important to remember that everyone has had a couple of beers each at this point. The bartender gets the server over and they are both pissed off at this meat sauce slopped on the bar, all the while Frank is largely ignoring them, trying to teach my 2 friends these knots, at the bar. It was completely comical, and he was oblivious to the scene he was causing at the bar. Come morning, my buddies didn't remember a damn thing about the knots either.

Bob

Excellent YM....................

Frank had a wonderful life and will be missed.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958