Thread: Whats a good AR spey fly?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Whats a good AR spey fly?

Hey folks, so I have my go to nymphs and drys for single hand fly fishing, and being new to spey, I am curious what spey flies are the go to for the AR. I find myself avoiding using them as I have no clue what works lol. I typically just grab an Intruder and throw it on as I have landed fish with them. I have probably 20 plus spey flies still waiting to touch the water.

Soft hackles on floater this time of year early mornings and evenings and sculpins patterns in olive and black year round on tips.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kranhold View Post
    Soft hackles on floater this time of year early mornings and evenings and sculpins patterns in olive and black year round on tips.
    As I was reading this I was hoping Mark would reply..........and here he is.

Mark and Andy both use their own AR Sculpin pattern on sink-tips.

Would be nice if they had them tied up at Kiene's?

With this greatly improved air quality, cooler nights, and perfect flow we should all be out on the American?

Andy said the Half-pounders were spread out so any riffle could hold fish.

Get you tackle in your vehicle so you can go before or after work?

You can swing for Half-pounders and resident trout on the lower Feather and lower Sac too.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Soft hackles, spiders , caddis puppa, swinging classic nymph.......anything buggy size 12 to 16 with a long floating mono leader or intermediate polyleader.

I guess I should have worded things different. I am looking for spey flys that are used. not so much nymphs and streamers. I plan to work on tying spey flys on the salmon hooks. I dont hear very often people using or sharing their favorites for the AR.

Right now, for half pounders we swing more trout flies..........but......you can always swing classic wet flies like silver Hilton, purple peril, etc etc in size 8. Halfpounders behave and eat more like trout......by December, January that's when you might switch to intruders of any size.