Thread: Skating patterns for the Trinity and American Rivers?

Default Skating patterns for the Trinity and American Rivers?

Hello everyone!

Lurking for a year or so now and I finally decided to make my first post.
    I’ve been tying for almost 2 years and I’ve finally come around to skater patterns, and boy are they fun to tie! I’ve fished some already on the eel river with no success, but I’m hoping that will change this year. I’m taking a trip to the Trinity in September and I’m wondering if these patterns I’ve tied would be good around then. They are variations of the October Caddis Skater. Also has anyone ever tried skating for half pounders during the Sep/Oct time frame? If so would these patterns work then too? Sorry for the amount of questions I just want to make sure I’m prepared.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EC78471D-0507-4D95-9922-41204C3412FC.jpg 
Views:	248 
Size:	300.0 KB 
ID:	15898  

Yes, you can get some fish skating already now on the Trinity. By Sept there should be even more around. Klamath is also a good option.

I would say Sept/Oct on the lower Trinity river very early and late, or in the shade or with overcast.

Herb Burton and his guides have been doing this in the lower Trinity river in the Fall with Muddlers.

The Trinity Fly Shop is in Lewiston right on the Trinity river.

https://www.trinityflyshop.com/

Another place for skating flies for Steelhead is the Grande Ronde river in October.

Speywater Lodge, float trips and guide service would be able to get you connected with those fish.

https://www.speywater.com/

Jason Hartwick would be one of the best guides to connect with.

He guides in the Fall on the Trinity and Klamath rivers.

http://steelheadonthespey.com/
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Those look good to me! I’m no expert on skating flies for steelhead, but I would add that in my experience size matters. Be certain to have a range of sizes tied up, and if you’re not getting any interest try changing sizes. For the Trinity and Klamath I’ve generally done much better on surprisingly small skaters and muddlers, on the other hand I have also had a few times where switching to a bit bigger skater quickly resulted in a grab. Totally agree with Bill about fishing the shade, I pretty much avoid the sunny water like the plague.

Good luck with your quest!
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    Yes, you can get some fish skating already now on the Trinity. By Sept there should be even more around. Klamath is also a good option.
    Awesome thanks for the advice.

Thank you Bill for taking your time to recommend some trips, I appreciate it. I will definitely remember the shade tip.

These here are size 6, would you recommend going even smaller than that? Thanks for your tips.

Quote Originally Posted by fishing&beyond View Post
    These here are size 6, would you recommend going even smaller than that? Thanks for your tips.
    I like skaters from size #2 down to size #8 typically, but I’ve also had some good success on a #10 muddler too. Size #4-6 are my most common, but it very much depends on the water I’m fishing. I would just encourage you to adjust the size if you aren’t finding any action.
    JB
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown

Can't speak for the American, but Herb typically fishes olive muddlers in a #6-8 on the Trinity. If BOR increases flows in September, which is looking more likely every day, then you can go bigger. Skaters on the T are a first/last light situation. Further downstream you go, more likely to find HPs but also chance of high temperatures especially if flows are low.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov