Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skiff questions

There are more restrictions on Personal Watercraft than two-stroke motors. Not all two strokes are banned either, only carbonated two-strokes without a CARB rating are banned.

REFER to this website:
    https://dbw.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=28770

For the most part the following lakes require a CARB compliant motor. Diamond Valley Lake, Lake Skinner, Donner Lake, Lakes Tahoe, Cascade, Fallen Leaf, and Echo. Millerton Lake, San Pablo Reservoir, San Luis Reservoir, O'Neill Fore Bay, and Los Banos Creek Reservoir.

So about 12 lakes.

The concern is really about unburned fuel that contains the additive MTBE and that additive getting in to drinking water.

I think that a G3 15' x 48" bottom aluminum Jon boat with a new tiller 25hp Yamaha 4 stroke and a galvanized trailer would be cool.

https://www.g3boats.com/build/2020-j...d_jon-1548_vbw

Around $10,000 new.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

I'll disagree on the length, because it depends largely on the hull configuration.

For a typical thin tin boat like a Gregor or Klamath, the entire section that is formed as a clipper bow is completely useless for any utility other than sitting or storage. In that case, a 14' should be minimum for fly fishing.

An older fiberglass skiff, like the one Bill and I both owned at different times with a cathedral style hull is MUCH more stable and usable. Ours was a 12' and it was infinitely better than my old 14' tin boat and my 12' heavy aluminum sled, and had far more net room. 20 hp is all. Now I have a 15' Whaler which is like a McMansion compared to my recent smaller skiffs, and I would not ever want anything larger for these waters.

Lesson is, the hull matters and matters a lot, especially in small boats. I will never have another clipper hull in anything under 18', and hopefully never have anything other than a cathedral hull as long as I'm standing most of the time while on the water. A jon hull is close, but flatter, not as stable, and will beat you up pretty good in any chop. Still better than a clipper hull for our uses, but not in Bodega. Too wet.

Aprreciate the input guys! Would be a 4 stroke. Honestly more for trolling and jigging than fly fishing. Got a line on a third one now I'm looking at. Hopefully next post will be as a skiff owner.

As John, Andy and I can attest, a boat will open up an entire new World for your fishing adventures.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Quote Originally Posted by JAWallace View Post
    I'll disagree on the length, because it depends largely on the hull configuration.

For a typical thin tin boat like a Gregor or Klamath, the entire section that is formed as a clipper bow is completely useless for any utility other than sitting or storage. In that case, a 14' should be minimum for fly fishing.

An older fiberglass skiff, like the one Bill and I both owned at different times with a cathedral style hull is MUCH more stable and usable. Ours was a 12' and it was infinitely better than my old 14' tin boat and my 12' heavy aluminum sled, and had far more net room. 20 hp is all. Now I have a 15' Whaler which is like a McMansion compared to my recent smaller skiffs, and I would not ever want anything larger for these waters.

Lesson is, the hull matters and matters a lot, especially in small boats. I will never have another clipper hull in anything under 18', and hopefully never have anything other than a cathedral hull as long as I'm standing most of the time while on the water. A jon hull is close, but flatter, not as stable, and will beat you up pretty good in any chop. Still better than a clipper hull for our uses, but not in Bodega. Too wet.
    John, I agree with you 100%, but in this case the question is about a a klamath and a gregor, and like you said the 14 is the boat to go with.

I had a 13' Gregor with a 5hp Honda and a 40lb thrust electric, that boat was perfect for most lakes in the Sierras (not Tahoe) . That boat got me and my boys into a lot of fish. Should not of sold it but, I ran short of storage space.

When I was young my Dad had a 13'4" Gregor aluminum V-hull boat with a 20hp Evinrude that was good for 3 angers.

We caught everything with that fishing conventional methods.

Locally around Sacramento we caught Salmon, Stripers, Steelhead, Shad, trout, Kokanee, and Bass.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958