Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Seychelles Bucket List

Starting about the second year it was opened in 1986 we went the a lot. Our entire staff got to host many trips there.

I did hear about the famous George Bush of Christmas Island too.

Florida guide Steve Huff went there a lot to asses the flats and teach all the guides.

I was invited on the infamous "Sage Trip" to Christmas Island along with Bill Fitzsimons because we had gone there so many times.

This was one of the greatest trips of my lifetime because of all the cool folks that were on the trip like Lefty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sage.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	16070
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

A good representation of the Who's Who of American saltwater fly fishing at the time in that pic Bill.The Guide I mentioned in my previous post (English) was taught to cast by Lefty Kreh and is an accomplished ambidextrous caster,and apart from him the only Guides still around from that era that I know of are Simon and Tyrone.

Many of our wonderful guides at Christmas Island are gone now. Their life expectancy is much shorter than ours.

Tyrone came here to California to the ISE show one year and stayed with us afterwards.

One of our good customers, a dentist, offered to do free work on Tyrone's teeth and he said "Yes".

Simon was my wife's favorite guide and use to always fish with him. He was one of Big Eddie's brothers and quite hansom.

My wife and I had a 'girl friend' on the island, Retira Mann, who we watched grow up from a teenager to a woman with children.

My wife brought her a good old Singer sewing machine and lots of sewing supplies over the years.

Alan Barnard and I went together on a big group trip and we bought her a Japanese kerosene stove.

We brought them CB radios which they used to communicated all over the island.

John Sullivan brought them all kinds of baseball equipment on a return trip.

We brought over sport shoes, sandals and nylon shorts when we came too.

Bob Nauheim and Frank Bertaina of Fishing International helped pioneer this fisheries along with Frontier Travel Company.

Hopefully you can all go there at least once in your lifetime, I wet 13 times and have it deep inside me.

I could write a novel of all our wonderful days on that specials island with the lovely people.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Bill, like you said us baby boomers have lost a lot of friends. I just found out this past week, two guys I use to fish with on the Smith river passed and even had one of my younger friends pass from Covid 19. He was only 47.

I retired 16 years ago and have never looked back. I have fished most of the places I thought about many years ago. But now, I have one favorite place to go and that is Aitutaki. I'm looking forward to next years trip, in late Oct/Nov 2021 to continue the battle with those mean ass GT's on the reef.

I fished Baja for nearly 33 years and hosted trips for 26 years. I gave it up this year and the Corona Virus really put the lid on the Baja retirement. Although, I will still make a trip or two every year.

Working at the Sportsman's Warehouse here in Fresno, I've been getting a lot of the younger generation interested in fly fishing, even some of the older gray hair generation (like us) are getting into the game. Prior to the virus, I was doing fly fishing classes, and fly tying classes almost every month. I still have a list of people, (probably 60 or more signed up) to take the beginning class. The fly tying classes are always filled but with our fly tying section, it's tough to get good products, thanks to the corporate office. I really don't think anyone up there knows any thing about fly fishing and really don't care. All they see is the bottom dollar. The old saying. "keep moving and don't let the grass grow under your feet".
    Jay Murakoshi

Commercial Fly Tier

Travel Coordinator

Web site: http://www.fliesunlimited.com/

Email us at: jaysflies@me.com

Call us at (831) 809-4221

Keep going Jay and good luck to you man.Hope to see you in Aitutaki one day!