Thread: Rogue River has Steelhead and Half-pounders in it......

Default Rogue River has Steelhead and Half-pounders in it......

A few days ago I talked with veteran Steelheader Al Perryman on the Rogue river near Medford.

Al usually goes out almost every morning, very early starting in July for a couple hours on the Rogue river.

He said this July and August was possible his best early fishing in decades.

It would only be worth fishing in July/August if you lived there or were going there for other reasons.

Usually October is the peak month in that part of the Rogue river around Grants Pass/ Medford.

These are "Summer run Steelhead" that are larger fish from 3 to 6 and over 10 pounds. Not Half-pounders up there.

Al did say that recently the netting counts on the lower Rogue river for Half-pounds was very good.

September is a good time to fish that lower section because it has good road access.

This time of year for Half-pounders anywhere it is best to go out extremely early and late in the day.

All you need is a fly rod, leader the length of you rod to 1x and any #10 wet fly or nymph.

You are always casting across, mend, swing down all the way below you, take 4 steps down stream and repeat.

The Klamath and Rogue river are the best Half pounder rivers we have although they are in many of our Valley rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default Medford....

It's currently being reported that there's a wildfire near Medford complete with evacuation orders. Not sure I would venture into that area of the Rogue right now....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I spoke to my brother who lives in Chiloquin a couple hours ago. Hes sitting in a hotel room in Klamath Falls hoping his house survives the 242 fire. Last he heard there were helicopters dumping water on his property and a structure crew was on site. Going to be a long night. He was actually allowed back home this morning but the damn thing blew up again in the afternoon and he had to leave again. It's a mess just about any direction you go right now.

Maybe we need a new category? "Wild Fires"
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........