Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Klamath Closure Info?

Default Klamath Closure Info?

Hello steelheaders.

Wondering if anyone has current intel on what section(s) of the Klamath are open to non-tribal folks? A friend just called the Weitchpec Store and was told that the Yurok tribal lands are definitely still closed to visitors, although it is ok to drive through without stopping. Anybody have info on Karuk lands upstream?? How about camping and fishing the Orleans area?? Thanks!! Matt
    Church of Wild Steelhead!

I think they shut down Klamath National Forest for the most part until September 14. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is with the closure.

The only closures are on tribal lands. Nothing else is shut down unless there is a fire I am not aware of. River is in shitty condition for now. I'm sure there have been many times over the years that the whole season was a bust due to low water. This very well may be one of them. But what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by mannamedstan View Post
    I think they shut down Klamath National Forest for the most part until September 14. Im still trying to figure out what the deal is with the closure.
    my understanding is that the forest is not completely shut down to recreational access, only to overnight camping. day use sites will also be closed, but i don't read this as a restriction to river access along highways. here is a story from the Sac Bee that sheds some light on the closures. other forests from El Dorado southward seem to be closed to all recreating activity.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...245550235.html

River temperatures are still pretty high but look like they are starting to cool due to shorter days and, perhaps, some smoke coverage. The gauge at Orleans is showing about 68 right now and 70 mid day yesterday. The Klamath station at the mouth was about 72 degrees yesterday. Not the best water temperatures just yet.

There's a good size fire closure South of Orleans and East of Hoopa. Lot's of smoke inland reported from my kid in Arcata, sometimes even on the coast.

Most of the Karuk Tribal Ceremonies are done except that the Ishi Pishi area is closed 9/13-9/22. You are not allowed to launch boats at Green Riffle. I'm not really sure that's ever a good idea unless you're a thrill seeking rafter or kayaker anyway. I think that you can still take out there.

Yurok areas are still closed due to covid. I think that you can launch a boat and fish the estuary at Klamath.

Welcome to steelhead season 2020.

Maybe the Rogue is a bit better??
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 09-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.

PV is correct. Klamath Forest Campgrounds are now closed until Sept 14th.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/klamath/home
    Last edited by TahoeJoe; 09-09-2020 at 09:22 AM.

TahoeJoe is right-- other rivers are better alternatives at present.

From the Klamath National Forest website:

A Notice To All USDA Forest Service Visitors

September 7, 2020 at 5 p.m. – Due to extreme wildfire conditions in the state of California the Forest Service Regional Forester has issued Regional Order 20-08 closing all campgrounds, day use areas, and other developed recreation sites through September 14, 2020 This closure includes all Klamath National Forest campgrounds, day use areas, and developed recreation sites.

The Regional Forester has also issued a Regional Order 20-06 prohibiting all fires, campfires, use of stoves, and smoking on National Forest Lands thru September 14, 2020, including the Klamath National Forest.

link to their website:" https://www.fs.usda.gov/main/klamath/home

Jim

So, is one able to put in at Klamath Glen's Terwer boat ramp and jet up the river and fish to say, Blue Creek, or is that considered tribal lands? Any info would be appreciated.

Default Tribal Lands...

google search "maps of tribal lands along Klamath River" and you get several maps of the info you want....
    "America is a country which produces citizens who will cross the ocean to fight for democracy but won't cross the street to vote."

Author unknown

I just got a bulletin that all national forests in CA are closed. Will be evaulated daily.