Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heenan Lake Closed

Default Heenan Lake Closed

Heenan Lake will be closed starting today until further notice due to the Slink Fire and fire management. They plan on pulling water from the lake to help fight the fire and don't want anglers in harms way.

Tight lines

Quote Originally Posted by 4Nativetrout! View Post
    Heenan Lake will be closed starting today until further notice due to the Slink Fire and fire management. They plan on pulling water from the lake to help fight the fire and don't want anglers in harms way.

Tight lines
    Awwwwwwwwww crap.............................

I had a gut feeling on this one.................

There's going to be some really disappointed guys and gals headed home tonight.

Thanks for the update 4Nativetrout.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 09-04-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Posted: 04 Sep 2020 04:51 PM PDT

The California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW) has announced the emergency closure of the Heenan Lake Wildlife Area in Alpine County as firefighting helicopters are using Heenan Lake’s water supply to combat the growing Slink Fire in nearby Mono County.

Heenan Lake itself is a 130-acre, special regulations water popular with fly anglers that opened to fishing at sunrise Sept. 4. Heenan Lake and the surrounding wildlife area is now closed to fishing, hunting and all public use and access indefinitely.

“We’re sorry to shut down this unique fishery on opening day but public safety takes precedence,” said Kevin Thomas, regional manager for CDFW’s North Central Region.

Heenan Lake is home to CDFW’s Lahontan cutthroat trout broodstock. Native to the Sierra, Lahontan cutthroat trout are listed as a threatened species under the federal Endangered Species Act. CDFW uses the Heenan Lake population as a source to stock these native fish for recreational angling and species recovery efforts. CDFW fisheries biologists do not expect any negative impacts on the lake or the fish as a result of firefighting efforts.

That’s a bummer! Hopefully they get this fire under control quickly.

Of special concern is the Silver King Drainage where the recovery of the recovery of the piaute cutthroat has been started. It's going to be a tough fire to get under control. North winds will certainly hurt matters.

I wonder how they executed "the closure".

Did they let everyone get out on the water Friday morning then call 'em all back in and tell them "it's closed.......go home" ??

I'm anxious to hear how this played out..............not that it really matters...........just curious.

Bob
    Last edited by BS; 09-05-2020 at 09:06 AM.

At a little after 3pm they asked us to get off the water buy a speaker on a fish and game truck.

Quote Originally Posted by markem8 View Post
    At a little after 3pm they asked us to get off the water buy a speaker on a fish and game truck.
    Wow !!!! A VERY unorthodox day of fishing !!!!

Thanks for letting us know how it played out. !!!!!!

BTW, did you hook, land, or LDR any fish..........up 'till the 3pm closure ????

Bob

I hooked 8 and landed 3. That seemed to be better than most but not as good as some.

Quote Originally Posted by markem8 View Post
    I hooked 8 and landed 3. That seemed to be better than most but not as good as some.
    Well then..............good job !!!!!

I'm glad your trip wasn't a total bust.

Thank you markem8.

Bob