Thread: best fly box for large dries

Default best fly box for large dries

I am looking for recommendations for a box for large, high winged dry flies such as chubbies, hoppers, foam stones, skwalas, etc. My girlfriend has the old Tacky brand "big bug box" but it's imperfect. I have a random conglomeration of crap in a couple of boxes, and am trying to get better organized on these big bugs that get a fair bit of play in my fishing rotation.

I want something small enough to carry with me routinely, not looking for a boat box.

Any suggestions welcomed -- things to buy or things to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
    I am looking for recommendations for a box for large, high winged dry flies such as chubbies, hoppers, foam stones, skwalas, etc. My girlfriend has the old Tacky brand "big bug box" but it's imperfect. I have a random conglomeration of crap in a couple of boxes, and am trying to get better organized on these big bugs that get a fair bit of play in my fishing rotation.

I want something small enough to carry with me routinely, not looking for a boat box.

Any suggestions welcomed -- things to buy or things to avoid.

I use Mylan boxes for all my dries.
    They have box that it's large hoppers etc well
    Inexpensive too.
    Kienes sells them

Quote Originally Posted by steveg137 View Post
    I use Mylan boxes for all my dries.
    They have box that it's large hoppers etc well
    Inexpensive too.
    Kienes sells them
    Thanks I think I need a couple of these for bulk storage. My concern is that on windy day you open the box and things could go "flying".

Perhaps I could rearrange things to use these for storage and then use my existing larger box, which is decent, for day to day carry.

You might consider finding a box you like and adding you own foam insert. Just do a google images search for "small rectangular plastic storage boxes with hinged lids" and then search for "foam inserts for fly boxes" there is a variety of styles available.

Hope that helps...