Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite PNW September Water

Default Favorite PNW September Water

I’m fixing to drive through MT, ID, WA, OR on my way back to California. Thought I would drop a line to gather some intel on new water to visit.

My driftboat is back in California and while I don’t mind hiring a guide every now and then I don’t think I’ll be getting too many guide days. I hope to find easy RV camping and walk and wade runs.

Thanks!

Rogue has lots of walk-in access, Streamtime maps are very helpful. I know a good guide if interested, very reasonable. North U is epic, know the etiquette and water can get warm in July and August, best if they get some rain to cool temperatures down a bit, Could be prime on both streams
    Robert

Agree with Robert on the lower Rogue; Agnes and below.
    StreamTime map is your best investment.
    Might even time it right for an early salmon.
    Hope you post your results.
    Stay safe and keep laughing,
    Larry S
    Sun Diego

Klickitat River in WA. Plenty of public access, tons of camping, and prime time for late summer steel. Probably also get a shot at some kings. Warning-crowded on weekends due to Portlandia crowd and easy public access. Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds.

Yes, those kings were caught on the fly (in addition to the steel)!!!!
    Last edited by WLREDBAND; 08-26-2020 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLREDBAND View Post
    Klickitat River in WA. Plenty of public access, tons of camping, and prime time for late summer steel. Probably also get a shot at some kings. Warning-crowded on weekends due to Portlandia crowd and easy public access. Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds.

Yes, those kings were caught on the fly (in addition to the steel)!!!!
    YES PLEASE!

Thank you all for the recommendations. Definitely added these stops to our trip!

Has anyone fished Icicle Creek, the Wenatchee, or any water near Leavenworth, WA? Town has really good beer and brats, so we typically stop but normally in July - just before the Kings arrive.

Thanks again

Clearwater River in Idaho could be an option, also Little Salmon -- both near the tricities area of WA. I'm not sure about W&W access...also could be a bit early for those fish to make it up that far, try to do some online recon.

John Day and Grande Ronde in Oregon might be worth a visit, Deschutes of course...expect company on the latter.

Rogue and Umpqua were good suggestions...don't forget about the Klamath depending on the timing of your trip...

I believe all the tributaries to the Columbia from the Yakima upstream list Steelhead and Salmon as ESA protected, no angling for them allowed. The Klikitat is a fragment of what it was as well as a real shit show, same for the Deschutes which is why I didn’t mention it. Those Columbia River steelhead are really threatened, I would like to see all fishing closed for them, including commercial.
    Robert

I appreciate it. I am fortunate to be able to fish midweek, so maybe the Klik and the Deschutes would work out if I can get there on an off time.

I figure I am too early for the OP, but I would really like to check out those river systems. I haven't been out that way in 10 years +

The plan is to either come through the Smith or the Klamath on the way into California. That might be a last minute call. Also had really good fishing here on my local Lake Superior tributary (3 solid grabs in an hour and a half, I lost all three), with more rain (and fish) in the forecast, so we might push the departure back a week or so.

I will do my best to keep this thread updated on the road so if anyone is headed up, they have some intel.

Quote Originally Posted by pvsprme View Post
    I believe all the tributaries to the Columbia from the Yakima upstream list Steelhead and Salmon as ESA protected, no angling for them allowed. The Klikitat is a fragment of what it was as well as a real shit show, same for the Deschutes which is why I didn’t mention it. Those Columbia River steelhead are really threatened, I would like to see all fishing closed for them, including commercial.
    So the guy shouldn't even bother? Come on now.

Just for clarification, the Klick is well downstream from the Yakima (like halfway to the ocean!), is open for angling (yes, there are myriad restrictions so familiarize yourself with the regs beforehand), and has an "aggressive" salmonid hatchery program. I would post more pics of me hoisting Klick fish, but don't really want to. I will repeat possibly the most relevant advice in my post "Great public trail system if you're willing to hike to avoid those crowds".
    PS: I love hiking and do it 5-7 days a week even without carrying a fly rod. Like today, where I actually spent more time hiking to reach a "secret spot" instead of fishing it!