Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite PNW September Water

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    So the guy shouldn't even bother? Come on now.
    Not at all, just saying there are better options than Columbia tributaries.
    Robert

September:

Lower Klamath, lower Rogue, North Umpqua, lower Deschutes, lower Grande Ronde.

BC: Maures, Bulkley, Dean rivers.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill.

My trip has been gaining stops as I come back to check this thread. I wish I had thought to pack our passports. We are hoping to leave midweek next week from northern Wisconsin. I think the Hoh opens on September 16. My youngest fishing buddy (son) just turned 6 months, and I work from the road remotely, so the driving goes really slow and steady!

Quote Originally Posted by mannamedstan View Post
    Thanks Bill.

My trip has been gaining stops as I come back to check this thread. I wish I had thought to pack our passports. We are hoping to leave midweek next week from northern Wisconsin. I think the Hoh opens on September 16. My youngest fishing buddy (son) just turned 6 months, and I work from the road remotely, so the driving goes really slow and steady!
    If you are taking I-90---

In MT at Big Timber, take the "West Boulder Backcountry Drive"--- Hwy 298 through McLeod and end up back on I90 at Livingston. Fish/stay on West Boulder River or the West Fork of the West Boulder River - no guide needed. (there are 2 West Boulder Rivers in MT). In Livingston there are famous fly fishing shops and guides to take you on any of the several nearby rivers.

Where Idahoans would go: probably the most scenic part of the state.

At Missoula MT, go south a few miles to Lolo, MT and take Hwy 12. (lots of articles online for "Hwy 12 Idaho" and "Kelly Creek")

Hwy 12 is spectacular drive with spectacular fishing. Lochsa River runs alongside on Idaho side of Lolo Pass.

Detour to fish NF Clearwater and Kelly Creek for world class cutties . Kelly Creek is one of the oldest C & R waters in US. No need for a guide.

You can either continue back to Hwy 12 and on the way to Lewiston ID, try the Selway River for trout or Steelhead plus the main Clearwater River-- known for huge Steelhead (all fish over 28" must be released)-- you'd be wise to get a guide. OR from Kelley Creek, you can drive north over Hoodoo Pass to get back on I-90 at Superior MT. From Lewiston, you can choose your route through Oregon.

If you do not want to take Hwy 12 but want to keep on I-90---- west of Missoula & Superior, Saint Regis River runs alongside from St Regis to almost top of Lookout Pass. It is a fun little river with bike path-- part of the plan to have a bike/hiking path from Missoula to Coeur d'Alene.

BTW: non-fishing family outing to consider is "Hiawatha Bike Trail"- easy ride downhill on abandoned railroad line, through several tunnels and be bused back up. At Lookout Pass Ski Area, you can rent bikes & even trailer for children. Access is immediately off I-90.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-04-2020 at 03:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    If you are taking I-90---

In MT at Big Timber, take the "West Boulder Backcountry Drive"--- Hwy 298 through McLeod and end up back on I90 at Livingston. Fish/stay on West Boulder River or the West Fork of the West Boulder River - no guide needed. (there are 2 West Boulder Rivers in MT). In Livingston there are famous fly fishing shops and guides to take you on any of the several nearby rivers.

Where Idahoans would go: probably the most scenic part of the state.

At Missoula MT, go south a few miles to Lolo, MT and take Hwy 12. (lots of articles online for "Hwy 12 Idaho" and "Kelly Creek")

Hwy 12 is spectacular drive with spectacular fishing. Lochsa River runs alongside on Idaho side of Lolo Pass.

Detour to fish NF Clearwater and Kelly Creek for world class cutties . Kelly Creek is one of the oldest C & R waters in US. No need for a guide.

You can either continue back to Hwy 12 and on the way to Lewiston ID, try the Selway River for trout or Steelhead plus the main Clearwater River-- known for huge Steelhead (all fish over 28" must be released)-- you'd be wise to get a guide. OR from Kelley Creek, you can drive north over Hoodoo Pass to get back on I-90 at Superior MT. From Lewiston, you can choose your route through Oregon.

If you do not want to take Hwy 12 but want to keep on I-90---- west of Missoula & Superior, Saint Regis River runs alongside from St Regis to almost top of Lookout Pass. It is a fun little river with bike path-- part of the plan to have a bike/hiking path from Missoula to Coeur d'Alene.

BTW: non-fishing family outing to consider is "Hiawatha Bike Trail"- easy ride downhill on abandoned railroad line, through several tunnels and be bused back up. At Lookout Pass Ski Area, you can rent bikes & even trailer for children. Access is immediately off I-90.

Jim

Thank you Jim! Very much appreciated. We were looking for a spot near Livingston yesterday, I think you gave us a good plan there. We hadn’t really planned to spend as much time in Idaho but I think you sold us. Thanks again.

The White River blew out yesterday and the Deschutes is gone to the mouth. Could be a while before it fishes. Call before you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Thomas View Post
    The White River blew out yesterday and the Deschutes is gone to the mouth. Could be a while before it fishes. Call before you go.
    . Going to the Deschutes 17-21 of this month guided trip. Hopefully it clears up some.��
    Thanks for the heads up Terry.

Quote Originally Posted by mannamedstan View Post
    Thank you Jim! Very much appreciated. We were looking for a spot near Livingston yesterday, I think you gave us a good plan there. We hadn’t really planned to spend as much time in Idaho but I think you sold us. Thanks again.
    ALSO- in WA. Wenatchee River near Leavenworth should be in prime Steelhead season, but it is closely regulated, so check if it is open and how it is fishing. I have never used a guide there, but have fished off the bank and did just ok (been several years).

Couple hours north of Wenatchee is the Methow Valley-- one of WA's best kept secrets. Methow River can be the best Steelheading on the east side of the Cascades. Smaller than the Wenatchee, easy to wade with lots of public access. But on both Wenatchee and Methow, I'd get a guide for at least one day. Plus, lots for the family to do in the Methow.

From the Methow, you can take Hwy 20 "North Cascades Scenic Highway" and fish the Sauk and Skagit rivers on the way for steelhead and salmon (may be between runs). Best from a boat with a guide.

Then cross onto Whidbey Island over the Deception Pass Bridge. West side of Whidbey Island should be coho season where you can fish off the beaches. Whidbey also has lots for the family to do. Ferry runs from west side of Whidbey to Port Townsend (reservation strongly advised)-- so it is on your way to the Olympic Pennisula.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim
    Last edited by JayDubP; 09-05-2020 at 01:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JayDubP View Post
    ALSO- in WA. Wenatchee River near Leavenworth should be in prime Steelhead season, but it is closely regulated, so check if it is open and how it is fishing. I have never used a guide there, but have fished off the bank and did just ok (been several years).

Couple hours north of Wenatchee is the Methow Valley-- one of WA's best kept secrets. Methow River can be the best Steelheading on the east side of the Cascades. Smaller than the Wenatchee, easy to wade with lots of public access. But on both Wenatchee and Methow, I'd get a guide for at least one day. Plus, lots for the family to do in the Methow.

From the Methow, you can take Hwy 20 "North Cascades Scenic Highway" and fish the Sauk and Skagit rivers on the way for steelhead and salmon (may be between runs). Best from a boat with a guide.

Then cross onto Whidbey Island over the Deception Pass Bridge. West side of Whidbey Island should be coho season where you can fish off the beaches. Whidbey also has lots for the family to do. Ferry runs from west side of Whidbey to Port Townsend (reservation strongly advised)-- so it is on your way to the Olympic Pennisula.

Look forward to your trip report.

Jim
    Thank you, thats really good to hear about Leavenworth. We were planning to stay up Icicle creek midweek. I will have to look into camping around the Methow. I will do my best to keep the thread updated once we start driving next week.
    Thanks again Jim, really good info for us.

Quote Originally Posted by avidangler View Post
    So the guy shouldn't even bother? Come on now.
    I was thinking the same thing.

Check the regs and if it’s legal go for it. I’ve fished the Hoh and it’s a beautiful place.
    Last edited by Rossflyguy; 09-05-2020 at 07:50 PM.