Thread: Major blow dealt to Pebble Mine project

Default Major blow dealt to Pebble Mine project

Not a fait accompli but really good news none the less. It's becoming more untenable by the day for these guys to get this thing going. Let's hope it never happens...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/clima...le-mine-trump/
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    Vintage Powell collector/dealer
    605-858-0800
    rich@classicpowellrod.com
    www.classicpowellrod.com

Good!!! I see the nay sayers have nothing to say on this so far? Hopefully they stick to their guns in this.

I would suggest that everyone who sent in a letter against Pebble mine should now follow it up with a thank you letter to the Army Corps of Engineers for doing the right thing.

Regards,
    Tim C.

Someone with influence ( money ) with the Administration does not want this anymore than we do. Besides it kind looks good like all that pasty makeup you see on the folks doing the RNC.

Quote Originally Posted by Lew Riffle View Post
    Someone with influence ( money ) with the Administration does not want this anymore than we do. Besides it kind looks good like all that pasty makeup you see on the folks doing the RNC.
    Probably best to leave the political out. National politics have become a ridiculous pantomime act on both side of the aisle and its best ignored because it makes you less intelligent. Focus on issues regardless of which corrupt arrogant senile doofus in a given job and do your best to influence where you can.
    There are few things in life more pleasing than the sublime marriage of form and function that is found in a well crafted fly rod.

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

So the USACE says that the project would violate the section 404 of the CWA. Huh, that's weird, the EPA said the same thing 5 years ago.

Pebble will never go away because they will just kick the can and test the waters with every new administration that comes in. Pebble probably saw this as their best chance. Luckily, Don Jr, Tucker Carlson, and Johnny Morris love to fish and told Trump this was a bad idea.

Don't let up though. From the article:

“Therefore, the Corps finds that the project, as currently proposed, cannot be permitted under section 404 of the Clean Water Act,”

In a statement Monday, Pebble CEO Tom Collier confirmed his firm had received the letter but said it does not mean the project has suffered a setback. “The letter does not ask for a delay or pause in the permitting process,” he said. “This is the next step in what has been a comprehensive, exhaustive 2˝-year review of the project. Nothing in the letter is a surprise to us or them.”

Collier added the company’s plan for offsetting its impact “will be submitted within weeks and will satisfy all of the requirements of the letter.”

Pebble is all in on this project. They have shown time and time again they don't give a crap about Alaskans, tribes, or the environment.
    “There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there has always been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
    ― Issac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by tcorfey View Post
    I would suggest that everyone who sent in a letter against Pebble mine should now follow it up with a thank you letter to the Army Corps of Engineers for doing the right thing.

Regards,
    Tim C.

This- make sure they know its appreciated.

I don’t know - this looks like a company that’s going nowhere...
    NAK - Northern Dynasty Minerals...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5DDA71E8-E574-4193-9879-499388BE28F0.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	15990

Rich Morrison
    605-858-0800
    www.classicpowellrod.com

It’s a small bit of bright news for sure! I definitely agree with comments about the need to follow through though, big projects like this never go down easily. Thanks for sharing that
    "Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am"
    - unknown